Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Using of PBL and Sf_Clay physics combination in the WRF model

met-sree

Dear Sir,
at the time of running the model with 9 (outer) and 3 (inner) km, I got small doubts or errors like:

1. Is it necessary to use "sf_sfclay_physics=2 (Monin-Obukhov-Janjic scheme)" for bl_pbl_physics =2 (MYJ) " ?? (Note: I am not able to find any information related to it in the user guide)

2. When I was running the WRF model with "bl_pbl_physics=5" and "sf_sfclay_physics=1", I got an error like an "LES PBL on the fine grid does not work with CG PBL option 5". What is the meaning? (Note: User guide shows that "bl_pbl_physics=5" works "sf_sfclay_physics=1")

Please provide clarify my doubts.

Thanks and regards,
Srinivas

Srinivas,
Please see my answers below:
1. Is it necessary to use "sf_sfclay_physics=2 (Monin-Obukhov-Janjic scheme)" for bl_pbl_physics =2 (MYJ) " ?? (Note: I am not able to find any information related to it in the user guide)

The answer is no. sf_sfclay_physics=2 can be used with any bl_pbl_physics options except the MYNN 3rd level TKE scheme.

2. When I was running the WRF model with "bl_pbl_physics=5" and "sf_sfclay_physics=1", I got an error like an "LES PBL on the fine grid does not work with CG PBL option 5". What is the meaning? (Note: User guide shows that "bl_pbl_physics=5" works "sf_sfclay_physics=1")

bl_pbl_physics=5 can work with sf_sfclay_physics=1, 2, 5.

Please double check your namelist option. If "bl_pbl_physics=5" and "sf_sfclay_physics=1", you shouldn't get this error message.

Please find below-attached namelist file and respective error file at the time of running real.exe with using the options: "bl_pbl_physics=5" and "sf_sfclay_physics=1" in namelist file.

Please look into this once and please provide suggestions.

Attachments

• namelist_input.txt
    5 KB · Views: 14
  • rsl_error_0000.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 8
Which version of WRF are you running? Is it WRF-ARW?
I am perplexed because I am not aware of such error message shown in your rsl file.

My WRF-ARW Model Version is 4.3.2 and configured with a moving nest (vortex following). Interestingly, the error appears for moving nests only. But, the same name list options (with sf_sfclay_physics=1; bl_pbl_physics=5) are working with the nested static domain configuration. Is there any solution to exclude this error in the moving nest configuration??
Thanks

Moving nest is a special option in WRF. Please avoid this combination of sf_sfclay_physics=1; bl_pbl_physics=5 in this case.
We will look into this issue but it may take time.