Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

What should I use to preprocess WRF data for MET?

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

GlennDoodle

Hi,

I keep looking at different forums and I am trying to figure out what I should use to prepare my WRF output for MET. I have tried the MET forum but haven't gotten a definitive answer...just that I need to preprocess my data. I see that some of the choices are WRF_INTERP...which I haven't successfully compiled yet (think it may have to do with my versions of netcdf), pinterp, or the UPP which is no longer supported for WRF. I read on a different post that wrf_user_vert_interp is also used for interpolation (but maybe not for MET?). Anyway, I am trying to figure out what direction I should pursue before I proceed. To add to the complexity, I intend to verify wind speed and direction which requires the wind to be put on an A-Grid and I am guessing will require the u and v to be earth relative vs. grid relative (I think). I will be veifying against point observations that have wind listed by wind speed and wind direction. Anyway, I am hoping that there is someone more familiar with the use of MET for WRF verification that can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Glenn

Glenn,
Older version of UPP can support WRF. As far as I know, they work fine to process WRF output and prepare data for MET. Personally, I think that using UPP might be a relatively easy way. We don't support MET but you can always get answers from met-help@ucar.edu regarding MET issue.