Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Where can I find "Urbanized-WRF" or "WRF-Urban"?

Young

Hello all,

My name is Young. I'm a grad student who just started learning WRF.
My goal is to analyze Urban Heat Island effect with WRF, and I recently installed WRF-ARW 4.5 in my Linux successfully i.
I'm still figuring out the next step- preparing an LCZ map of my ROI and others that is related to WPS.

I'm wondering if the recent WRF-ARW 4.5 includes either "Urbanized-WRF" or "WRF-Urban".
I haven't seen any proper channel where I can download "Urbanized-WRF" or "WRF-Urban".
Based on what I reviewed WRF update histories and relevant references, the most recent version seems to support Urban climate simulations.
However, I'm still vague if WRF 4.5 and "Urbanized-WRF" are different.
If WRF 4.5 had incorporated either "Urbanized-WRF" or "WRF-Urban", how can I change its mode?

In short, My questions are:
(1) Does WRF 4.5 and "Urbanized-WRF" or "WRF-Urban" are different? If so, where can I download "Urbanized-WRF" or "WRF-Urban"?
(2) What would be the critical difference between WRF 4.5 and "Urbanized-WRF" or "WRF-Urban" for simulating Urban Heat Island effect?

My apologies if my questions are so dumb, but the relevant information was really hard to find.
Thank you for your time, and I very much appreciate if you could share some valuable advice and comments.

Best,
Young

Last edited:
Hello all,

My name is Young. I'm a grad student who just started learning WRF.
My goal is to analyze Urban Heat Island effect with WRF, and I recently installed WRF-ARW 4.5 in my Linux successfully i.
I'm still figuring out the next step- preparing an LCZ map of my ROI and others that is related to WPS.

I'm wondering if the recent WRF-ARW 4.5 includes either "Urbanized-WRF" or "WRF-Urban".
I haven't seen any proper channel where I can download "Urbanized-WRF" or "WRF-Urban".
Based on what I reviewed WRF update histories and relevant references, the most recent version seems to support Urban climate simulations.
However, I'm still vague if WRF 4.5 and "Urbanized-WRF" are different.
If WRF 4.5 had incorporated either "Urbanized-WRF" or "WRF-Urban", how can I change its mode?

In short, My questions are:
(1) Does WRF 4.5 and "Urbanized-WRF" or "WRF-Urban" are different? If so, where can I download "Urbanized-WRF" or "WRF-Urban"?
(2) What would be the critical difference between WRF 4.5 and "Urbanized-WRF" or "WRF-Urban" for simulating Urban Heat Island effect?

My apologies if my questions are so dumb, but the relevant information was really hard to find.
Thank you for your time, and I very much appreciate if you could share some valuable advice and comments.

Best,
Young
No question on the forum is dumb, we all learn from each other. To answer your question, the WRF-Urban runs similar like the WRF except that you will have to turn on the Urban Canopy of the model depending on which upon Canopy you want to work with
To run WRF with urban physics scheme, you can simply turn on the urban physics option in namelist.input, i.e.,

sf_urban_physics = 1 (single layer urban canopy model)

= 2: Multi-layer, Building Environment Parameterization (BEP) scheme

(works only with YSU, MYJ and BouLac PBL)

= 3: Multi-layer, Building Environment Model (BEM) scheme

if you intend to use the BEPBEM...dont forget to modify your URBPARM.TBL
Like Quote Reply

No question on the forum is dumb, we all learn from each other. To answer your question, the WRF-Urban runs similar like the WRF except that you will have to turn on the Urban Canopy of the model depending on which upon Canopy you want to work with
To run WRF with urban physics scheme, you can simply turn on the urban physics option in namelist.input, i.e.,

sf_urban_physics = 1 (single layer urban canopy model)

= 2: Multi-layer, Building Environment Parameterization (BEP) scheme

= 3: Multi-layer, Building Environment Model (BEM) scheme

if you intend to use the BEPBEM...dont forget to modify your URBPARM.TBL
Like Quote Reply
I appreciate your comment!!