Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WPS/ungrib ERROR extracting field gf_getfld

cclnbg

Hi,
i tried to run WPS with the updated ECMWF data (48r1), dew to be operational at the end of this month. Unfortunately ungrib can not read them and produce 0KB intermediate files. The ECMWF input data is in grib2 format but from the information they have provided, the new data uses different packaging - implementation of CCSDS compression using libaec. Does anyone have a solution to run ungrib with grib2 data packed with CCSDS (CCSDS stands for Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems and is a WMO standard for lossless data compression).

UNGRIB doesn't really care how the data is packed. If you can create Vtable for the data you are trying to process, I suppose ungrib should work.

UNGRIB doesn't really care how the data is packed. If you can create Vtable for the data you are trying to process, I suppose ungrib should work.
I have the Vtable and it runs without errors when i supply the old grib2 input files, but when i tested WPS with the new files (grib2 with new packaging) the ungrib intermediate files are empty and metgrid fails. The only change in the input files, i am aware of is the packaging, the meteorological parameters inside the file are the same, so i use the old Vtable.
Do you think i have to modify the Vtable, when there is no change in the grib parameters?

No solution yet, i still use the old packed data. My plan is to install the liaec and decode the grib 2 data before feeding it to WPS.

@cclnbg
Have you solved this problem, please? I am trying to drive WRF with this forecast dataset, but ungrib.exe fails. eccodes software decodes the grib2 file and produces the following error:
#####
GRIB_API ERROR : grib_accessor_data_ccsds_packing: ccsds support not enabled.
GRIB_API ERROR : unable to get codedValues as double array (Function not yet implemented)
GRIB_API ERROR : Function not yet implemented
#############
I have linked to AEC, how did you solve this problem?