Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF 1-way nested domain d02 wont run with sf_lake_physics

PeterTuju

I run WRF using ERA5 in 1-way nested domain by invoking the ndown.exe program. The real program for 2 domains, wrf.exe for d01 domain and ndown.exe for the two domains run successfully. Then after renamed the wrfbdy_d02 to wrfbdy_d01, wrfinput_d02 to wrfinput_d01, and wrffdda_d02 to wrffdda_d01.
When running wrf.exe with sf_lake_physics ON, the model remains pending as seen in the rsl.error.0000 attached.
But when switching OFF the sf_lake_physics the model runs. Why is this?.

Attched are the namelists I use. For the nest domain look namelist.d02.input

Attachments

• rsl.error.0000
    2.3 KB · Views: 1
  • namelist.d02.input
    8.5 KB · Views: 2
  • namelist.d01.input
    8.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi,
First I'd like to apologize for the long delay in response. Are you still experiencing trouble with this? I set up a basic case to test this and was unable to replicate what you're seeing. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it necessary for you to use ndown, or could you simply use 1-way-nesting (set feedback = 0) if you're not wanting feedback?
2. Even if you do need to use ndown, can you try a case where you run both domains together (with sf_lake_physics turned on) to see if it still fails? That will help me to know if it's actually an issue with the ndown program, or with the simulation, itself.

If you are able to run (2) without any problem, and if that is sufficient for you, then that's great! Otherwise, please package all of your rsl* files into a single *.tar file and attach that when you respond. Sometimes the important information can be in some of the other rsl* files - other than just the .0000 file. Thanks!