Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF 4.3.3 - Modifying WRF Input/Restart Files to insert a TC-like Vortex

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

jthayer

Hello,

I am running WRF 4.3.3 on our department supercomputing cluster. I have a completed real-WRF simulation of a Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO) event in the Indian Ocean without a tropical cyclone (TC) present during my time period of interest, which will act as my 'Control Case'. I want to alter this control case by inserting TC-like vortices at specific times and locations, creating 'Perturbation Cases'. I am now trying to determine how (if possible) to insert a 3D TC-like vortex into this real-WRF simulation at a specific time and location by modifying the U/V fields. I can not find a similar procedure in this forum, so I am not sure whether I need to modify ONLY the wrfbdy_dxx + wrfinput_dxx files or also the wrfrst_dxx files? Also, is there any existing WRF functionality that I could adapt for this scenario?

Perhaps this is not possible, which would also be helpful to know. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Best,
Jeff Thayer

Hi Jeff,
Perhaps what you're wanting to do can be handled by the TC Bogus option. You can read about the specifics in the WRF Users' Guide.

Note that the program can be a bit unstable at times, so I'd also advise taking a look at my response on Sept 02 from this forum post. Some of that information may be useful.