Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

wrf.exe Never Finishes

FSU_Anna

Hi,

I'm doing a test run with GFS data for 1 6-hr time step before actually doing my research runs. I don't see any errors in the rsl.error files from real.exe. When I run wrf.exe, however, it just runs and runs and never finishes. I did one test run in the spring that worked and gave me wrfout files. Since this run doesn't finish, I get a file for the initial time and it never generates the file for the first time step.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any idea how to find what's wrong? Included below are my namelists. I'm guessing I set something incorrectly in namelist.input?

Namelist.wps:
1683036187881.png

Namelist.input
1683036322884.png
1683036347302.png

1683036363196.png

1683036385892.png

Do you have the rsl.out and rsl.error files handy that you can put here as a zip file?

I just ran real.exe again and added a third column for dynamics and physics options. I'm not sure if it needed that. The test that worked back a few months ago was one domain. This is my first time trying to do 3 domains.

Attachments

• rsl_files.zip
    306.8 KB · Views: 1
I just ran real.exe again and added a third column for dynamics and physics options. I'm not sure if it needed that. The test that worked back a few months ago was one domain. This is my first time trying to do 3 domains.
Are all the real.exe files created?

I think so?
I have 64 rsl.error files, 64 rsl.out files, 3 wrtinput files, and 1 wrfbdy file. Should there only be 1 wrfbdy file? Or should there be 3 for 3 domains?

WRF 4.3.2

I'm doing to try running with one domain and see what it does. I think when I tested this and it worked several months ago it was one domain. This is for my thesis now and needs 3 domains. Odds are the error is with my nesting or namelist set up for the inner domains, but I still haven't figured out what the error is.

If it helps, when I run wrf.exe not only do I only get the first time step as wrfout, I also only get the first domain. So I get a wrfout_d01_2018-03-25_00\:00\:00 file only. I have 3 domains and should have one more time step at 6 hours past this.

Question: What should I see in the WRF.out file?

My school tech gurus said my job kept running out of memory. I kept increasing CPUs and memory and it still never finished. Ran 1 domain and it finished. I'm going to run 2 domains and then 3 to see if I'm doing something wrong.

For the 1 domain run that finished the WRF.out file just looks like this. It doesn't say succesfully completed the way the rsl.out files do. 1) Is that normal?
1683208744278.png
Also, I set it to only run for 6 hours. 3/25/2018 00:00:00 to 06:00:00. After running WRF.exe I got a file called
"wrfout_d01_2018-03-25_00:00:00" but not one at 06:00:00. 2) Is that correct?

Can you upload your rsl.* files for me to take a look?
Also, please confirm that real.exe runs successfully (you should see SUCCESS at the end of rsl.out.0000 for real.exe run)