Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF Fire real case

bowenwang23

Hello,

I'm trying to run a real case in WRF Fire, and while WRF can run, the output shows all fire-related variables as 0 for the entire simulation time. I'm wondering what part of my settings leads to this result.

Thanks!

Attachments

• namelist.input
    6.4 KB · Views: 14
Yes I'm running WRF-ARW from compiling em_real, and I'm also using this namelist.fire file as attached here.

I used ERA5 for forcing data. Since I haven't run WRF before I wasn't sure what is a good spatial resolution to use here. My inner domain is about 25km * 25km. What would you recommend to use in terms of the forcing dataset and spatial resolution?

I don't think the issue is with the forcing data or spatial resolution though. I have tried to run WRF-Fire following this tutorial which uses HRRR as forcing data, and the output returns 0 across the field for all fire variables too.

Attachments

• namelist.fire.zip
    2 KB · Views: 7
Let me clarify this issue; WRF-ARW cannot be directly applied for real-time FIRE simulation. Please use WRF-FIRE for your case.

Oh got it. I think what got me confused was that on multiple WRF-Fire-related websites/tutorials (including the one you sent earlier), it is the WRF (not WRF-Fire) repository that's linked to the website. It may be better to change these links to WRF-Fire to make it clear.

Let me clarify this issue; WRF-ARW cannot be directly applied for real-time FIRE simulation. Please use WRF-FIRE for your case.
I'm now running WRF-Fire. While I'm able to run real.exe, the wrfinput files don't seem to have read the topography and fuel maps from the met_em files. The met_em files show both topography and fuel data properly, but in wrfinput these two fields show all 0 values. I wasn't quite sure why that occurred.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• real.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 8