Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF number soil layers

ykaore

I'm doing some forecasting with the WRF model for 15 days ahead using GFS as initial and boundary conditions. My results showed that WRF overestimated temperature and precipitation a lot. Among the paths that I can take to improve my results, one of the possibilities regards soil moisture. In these tests, I used num_soil_layers = 4 and sf_surface_physics = 2. How could I increase the number of soil layers? Would it be worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The number of soil layers comes directly from the input data you are using, so you can only increase this value if you use a different type of data with additional layers. For e.g., GFS data contains 4 layers/levels. You could give that a try and see if it makes any difference. You could run a shorter simulation just to see if you start to notice a better result. It's hard to say if that would be the thing that would help.