Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF observation nudging segmentation fault

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

A WRF User

I need some help figuring out a segmentation fault. I am running WRF (surprise) with 2 domains and observation nudging turned on. Domain 1 has 1-km grid spacing and runs for 6 hours before domain 2 (111-m grid spacing) is initialized. The simulation runs for 6 h, but after domain 2 is initialized the simulation segmentation faults. The namelist, rsl files and output are:/glade/scratch/ajensen/ncaruas/2018071904_fdda. The same simulation but with observation nudging turned off (which runs successfully) is: /glade/scratch/ajensen/ncaruas/2018071904_no_fdda. Thanks for the help. -Anders

Please type ./clean -a and rebuild WRF in debug mode (i.e., ./configure -D), then rerun this case to find in which code/line the model crashed. This will give you some hints what is wrong.

Note that doing objective analysis on a nest may lead to inconsistency between the coarse domain and the nest. This may lead to failure in the model running.

I debugged WRF and found the issue in /frame/module_dm.F. There is a subroutine called get_full_obs_vector with two lines where the max number of processors is hard coded, and I was using more processors:

INTEGER IDISPLACEMENT(1024) ! HARD CODED MAX NUMBER OF PROCESSORS
INTEGER ICOUNT(1024) ! HARD CODED MAX NUMBER OF PROCESSORS

Thanks, Anders.

Thank you for the kind message. We have modified the code based on your information. Please use the attached code (module_dm.F) to replace the original code (WRF/external/RSL_LITE/module_dm.F), then rebuild WRF and run your failed case. Please let me know whether this new code works.
Thanks!

Ming Chen

Attachments

• module_dm.F
    271.1 KB · Views: 73