Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF restart setting

sd16121

Dear Office,

I ran WRF without the settings below:
restart = .true.,
restart_interval = 1440,

If I modify this as
restart = .false.,
restart_interval = 1440,
during the running period (the wrfout file has not been output for 24 hours), is that ok?

I saw your guide at ARW Online Tutorial and ARW Online Tutorial, my understanding is that I should set
restart = .false.,
restart_interval = 1440,
then, after the restart file is generated, I could set
restart = .true.,
restart_interval = 1440,
So, the running process could be continued as usual. Could you please kindly confirm whether my understanding is correct?

Best wishes,
Stella

Stella,
if you set
restart = .false.,
restart_interval = 1440,
It indicates this is an initial run and the model will output wrfrst files every 24-hr.

if you set
restart = .true.,
restart_interval = 1440,
It indicates this is a continuous run (restart run) and the model still will output wrfrst st 24-hr intervals.

You are right that after the restart file is generated, you can set
restart = .true.,
restart_interval = 1440,

and the the running process will continue as usual.

Stella,
if you set
restart = .false.,
restart_interval = 1440,
It indicates this is an initial run and the model will output wrfrst files every 24-hr.

if you set
restart = .true.,
restart_interval = 1440,
It indicates this is a continuous run (restart run) and the model still will output wrfrst st 24-hr intervals.

You are right that after the restart file is generated, you can set
restart = .true.,
restart_interval = 1440,

and the the running process will continue as usual.
Hi Ming,

Could you please kindly explain the differences of "It indicates this is an initial run and the model will output wrfrst files every 24-hr" and "
It indicates this is a continuous run (restart run) and the model still will output wrfrst 24-hr intervals"? My WRF output file is hourly, do you mean WRF restart file here?

Because the time limit on my HPC is 14 days, and I need 33 days for my simulation, I hereby set the restart interval as 11 days:
restart = .false.,
restart_interval = 15840,
After I get the restart file, I will change the restart as "true".
Do I need to repeat running real.exe and wrf.exe again by myself? Or the only thing is to submit my job again? Do I need to modify other items in namelist file, such as start_year, start_month, start_day, start_hour, etc.?

Best wishes,
Stella

Stella,
By 'initial run', I mean WRF simulation starts from the initial time of your integration period. For example, if you run a case over the period from 2021-09-01_00 to 2012-09-20_00 (a 20-day integration), you have wrfinput file at the time 2021-09-01_00. The initial run refers to the simulation starting from 2021-09-20_00, and data are read from wrfinput. A 'restart run' or 'continuous run' refers to the case that, for example, you have finished the first 10-day simulation, and you save wrfrst file at the end of the 10th day. Then you continue for the next 10-day simulation. The simulation period will be from 2021-09-11_00 to Y2021-09-20_00, you read data from wrfrst file at the time of 2021-09-11_00.

Hi @Ming Chen, I do not have a wrfrst file, instead I have a wrfout file with values at written out every 5 mins. So do i just change the namelist.input options restart = .true. and changing the simulation start date to the last stored time step in the wrfout file?

UPDATE: This does not work!

Dear Ming,

I would like to know if I give restart_interval as 60 and I am in a situation where I have to restart after 15 hrs, on restarting my run will the model start to run from 15 th hr on its own or do I have to edit anything else in namelist ?

Regards

[用户=6143]@wavy_turbines[/用户]
对于“重新启动”WRF 运行(即连续运行),必须保存 wrfrst 文件。否则,WRF 无法获得足够的信息来继续上一次运行的模拟。有关“重新启动”WRF 的详细说明,请查看 WRF 用户指南:
https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/wrf_users_guide/build/html/running_wrf.html#restart-capability
Dear Ming,

I already have the wrfrst file, but when I reboot it reports an error Land Use Dataset '' not found in VEGPARM.TBL, and I'm wondering if there is a way to fix this!

Regards

@AlbinSabu

I am sorry to answer so late. Somehow your post was skipped and I was not aware of the ignorance.
If you set restart_interval as 60 , it tells WRF to save wrfrst files every 60 minutes. If you want to restart the run at 15th hour, you need to modify namelist.input, telling WRF the 'restart time' and how long you intend to continue to run. Please see more details at

@ronin1988

If you look at your wrfrst file, what is the value of MMINLU in it?

Please issue the commands

ncdump -h wrfrst | grep MMINLU

ncdump -h wrfinput_d01 | grep MMINLU

The output of MMINLU should be the same. Please let me know what values are output by the above commands.

@ronin1988

The output of MMINLU should be the same. Please let me know what values are output by the above commands.
I did triple nesting and the MMINLU in the first and third layers are the same as in the wrfinput, MMINLU ="MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH",but the MMINLU of the second layer is ""

Attachments

• 1700546601067.png
    1700546601067.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 12
@ronin1988

I try to change the attribute of the MMINLU in the second layers of wrfrst, But it doesn't work either.

Attachments

• 1700546970507.png
    1700546970507.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 12
NCO can be used to change global attribute of NetCDF file. Below is an example:

Can you take a look and follow the approach to change MMINLU?

NCO can be used to change global attribute of NetCDF file. Below is an example:

Can you take a look and follow the approach to change MMINLU?
Dear Ming, Thanks a lot, problem solved!

@AlbinSabu

I am sorry to answer so late. Somehow your post was skipped and I was not aware of the ignorance.
If you set restart_interval as 60 , it tells WRF to save wrfrst files every 60 minutes. If you want to restart the run at 15th hour, you need to modify namelist.input, telling WRF the 'restart time' and how long you intend to continue to run. Please see more details at
Dear Ming,

It is totally fine and thanks for the reply. If you feel any better we figured out the answer few days before your reply. Also it worked only when I removed the debug_level = 1 line from the namelist.input hope that is fine.

Thanks again and looking forward.