Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

wrf run over high terrain

husile

Hi,

I tried running WRF over the high mountain Asia, Karakoram range (elevation>6km). And I when I start analyzing the results. The figure that I made with wrf_python doesn't look right. And I started thinking if the dynamic of the namelist.input setting went wrong. I pasted the input file here also the figure for the cross section with adding terrain in the bottom.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you very much!

Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 4.29.31 PM.png

Attachments

• namelist.input.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 3
Hi,
I don't think your case is done successfully. Please check your RSL files and you should find some error messages there.
The case should fail because some options are not correct in your namnmelist.input:
(1) for max_dom =3 and parent_grid_ratio = 1, 3, 3, you should specify
dx= 8500, 2833,33, 944.44
(2) time_step = 50
(3) num_soil_layers = 4

Please modify your namelist and try again.

Hi Chen,

I made the changes in the namelist.input. But they are for the domain and physics. I think I asked for the dynamic settings.

(1) I didn't see the dx/dy for all three domain is requested in the user's guide ( please see the screenshot below). So, I was thinking maybe it is okay to only putting the first domain value. But I added them back to my namelist. However, it doesn't change the rsl.out result.
(2) time_step=50 might make differences in calculation (run time). But I didn't see much difference between the previous run and fixed run, please see attached rsl*before* & rsl*after* files.
(3) I've seen the num_soil_layers is paired with the sf_surface_physics. And I selected the 4 for sf_surface, it might automatically calculate the soil layers=4 since it doesn't added as a required physical scheme in the user's guide. And, I don't know how much difference it would make between having num_soil_layers and not manually adding it. But I already added this. However, this doesn't answer my question.

I searched the etac values. But they don't look clear to me. So, my question is what does it mean by over the High Mountain Asia (etac=0.25) would cause model failure. So, what value should be appropriate (please check the last screenshot below). I really was asking this specific setting in my namelist. Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 4.45.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 4.43.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 4.28.51 PM.png

I used ncview to check the wrfout. And it does have values and I think they run properly. So, I skeptical about my wrf-python code right now. I probably should adjust the python to make the right maps. Then, again ~ I need to figure out the etac value. I wanted to know if it is reasonable in my case. I wanted to understand the silence behind it.

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 5.07.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-03-29 at 5.08.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-03-29 at 5.09.01 PM.png

I really appreciate your quick response. Looking forward to hear back soon. Thank you very much, again!

Husile

Attachments

• namelist_and_rsl_out.zip
    905.1 KB · Views: 0