Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF Solid Precipitation Output

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if there's a solid precipitation output from WRF, whether accumulated or instantaneous. I'd be happy if you could guide me to the right output variable or perhaps how to compute it from any of the available variables.

Regards,
Stanley

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if there's a solid precipitation output from WRF, whether accumulated or instantaneous. I'd be happy if you could guide me to the right output variable or perhaps how to compute it from any of the available variables.

Regards,
Stanley
SNOWNC ?

@stanleyakor
Are you only interested in snow, or are you also wanting to include graupel, hail, etc.? Can you attach your namelist.input file so we can see what physics schemes you're using? Many variables are scheme-specific.

@stanleyakor
Are you only interested in snow, or are you also wanting to include graupel, hail, etc.? Can you attach your namelist.input file so we can see what physics schemes you're using? Many variables are scheme-specific.
Hi Kwerner,

Thanks for your response. I am doing a sensitivity study with the Thompson, Morrison, WSM6, and WDM6 schemes. I want the cumulative solid precipitation ( snow, hail, graupel, etc).

Thanks in anticipation.
Stanley

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
It looks like SNOWNC is used by the Thompson scheme, but none others, at least for the microphysics schemes you're using. If you wanted to use this one, I believe it does take into account other types of solid precip, and there is also a separate variable called GRAUPELNC that is specific to graupel. Take a look at the code in phys/module_mp_thompson.F. Unfortunately that variable is not used in the other schemes you mention, so if you wanted to use it for those, you may need to add it to the code for the other mp schemes. You could use the code in the Thompson scheme as a guide. It would be grid-scale, and it doesn't look like there's another option that's at a convective scale.

There is also a variable called ACSNOW, but it's found in some of the surface schemes, and since I don't have your namelist, I'm not sure which of those you're using. I'm not sure if it accounts for anything other than just snow, and it looks like it's probably the water equivalent of snow.

It looks like SNOWNC is used by the Thompson scheme, but none others, at least for the microphysics schemes you're using. If you wanted to use this one, I believe it does take into account other types of solid precip, and there is also a separate variable called GRAUPELNC that is specific to graupel. Take a look at the code in phys/module_mp_thompson.F. Unfortunately that variable is not used in the other schemes you mention, so if you wanted to use it for those, you may need to add it to the code for the other mp schemes. You could use the code in the Thompson scheme as a guide. It would be grid-scale, and it doesn't look like there's another option that's at a convective scale.

There is also a variable called ACSNOW, but it's found in some of the surface schemes, and since I don't have your namelist, I'm not sure which of those you're using. I'm not sure if it accounts for anything other than just snow, and it looks like it's probably the water equivalent of snow.
Thanks for your response. I forgot to add the namelist file, but I just uploaded it now. Anyway, thanks for your help and the recommendations.