Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF stating that Landuse type = USGS Found but landuse categorisation in WPS was Modis_IGBP

WRFinOz

Hi,

I created an updated landuse categorisation based on Copernicus data and data from the National Vegetation Information Service for Australia and reclassified the combined dataset from these codes to the MODIS-IGBP codes. I then translated this to the correct geogrid format. This ends up with classifications from 2 to 21 as there are no needleleaf forests in Australia (classification 1 under Modis-IGBP).

WPS runs fine, and the output in the nc files shows land use categories 2 to 21 as expected.

Real and WRF run, but when WRF runs in the rsl.error.0000 file it states:
LANDUSE TYPE = USGS FOUND 27 CATEGORIES

Why is this using USGS classification and not MODIS_IGBP?

Many thanks.

I think I found the answer - if I add to the index file:
mminlu="MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH" t

then ncdump -h geo_em.d01.,nc | grep MMINLU gives me:
:MMINLU = "MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH" ;

I got this by looking at other similar index files in folders I know are MODIS_IGBP and then I spotted the keyword mminlu.

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction, however that leads to a second issue.
WPS and real complete and then WRF fails. In rsl.error.0000 it says:

INPUT LandUse = "MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH"
LANDUSE TYPE = "MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH" FOUND 61 CATEGORIES 2 SEASONS WATER CATEGORY = 16 SNOW CATEGORY = 24
INITIALIZE THREE Noah LSM RELATED TABLES
Skipping over LUTYPE = USGS
LANDUSE TYPE = MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH FOUND 20 CATEGORIES

But in rsl.error.0002 it says:
INPUT LandUse = "MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH"
LANDUSE TYPE = "MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH" FOUND 61 CATEGORIES 2 SEASONS WATER CATEGORY = 16 SNOW CATEGORY = 24
INITIALIZE THREE Noah LSM RELATED TABLES
d01 2023-01-10_12:00:00 Input data is acceptable to use:
Tile Strategy is not specified. Assuming 1D-Y
WRF TILE 1 IS 1 IE 39 JS 27 JE 52
WRF NUMBER OF TILES = 1
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 2419
Warning: too many input landuse types
-------------------------------------------

Last edited:
In case anyone else ever faces the same problems, I found the solution:

1) Make sure your index file contains the line
mminlu="MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH"

2) In GEOGRID.TBL make sure that it is set as priority 2 such as follows:
===============================
name=LANDUSEF
priority = 2
dest_type = categorical
z_dim_name = land_cat
landmask_water = Copern_Modis:17,21 # Calculate a landmask from this field
interp_option = Copern_Modis:nearest_neighbor
rel_path = Copern_Modis:Copernicus_LU_Modis/

Where Copern_Modis is what I want to call it from my input file and Copernicus_LU_Modis is the name of the folder under WPS_GEOG.

I replaced the defalut land use (modis-20class) data with 3 categories of UCM (Urban Canopy Model) for LANDSAT-8 land use classification(33 class total) with WRF version 4.5.
And I already set you mentioned above 2 points. But Still
Real and WRF run, but when WRF runs in the rsl.out.0255 file it states:
LANDUSE TYPE = "MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH" FOUND 61 CATEGORIES 2 SEASONS WATER CATEGORY = 17 SNOW CATEGORY = 15
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 2426

how it can be resolved?

I replaced the defalut land use (modis-20class) data with 3 categories of UCM (Urban Canopy Model) for LANDSAT-8 land use classification(33 class total) with WRF version 4.5.
And I already set you mentioned above 2 points. But Still
Real and WRF run, but when WRF runs in the rsl.out.0255 file it states:
LANDUSE TYPE = "MODIFIED_IGBP_MODIS_NOAH" FOUND 61 CATEGORIES 2 SEASONS WATER CATEGORY = 17 SNOW CATEGORY = 15
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 2426

how it can be resolved?
Might be worth setting up a new issue on the forum. Since it is a little different, or attach your namelist.wps file here

I am not familiar with the Copernicus_LU_Modis dataset. Does it include 61 total Land type categories? I thought MODIS only includes 24. If so, your error messages seem suggest you have 61 total LU categories. Did you accidentally activate the use_wudapt_lcz option? The MODIS-LCZ data has 61 categories in total.