Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF stuck when generating the first restart file

chenghao

I am using the latest version of WRF (v4.5.2) for a simulation with 4 nested domains. I found that wrf.exe becomes unresponsive when attempting to generate the first wrfrst file for domain 3 (d03). My configuration is set to produce wrfrst files every 24 hours. While the first restart files for d01 and d02 have been successfully generated, this process stalls when generating the file for d03. The job is not killed - it's simply not progressing.

I found a similar post here: wrfrst file error. I was wondering if NCAR has observed similar issues with WRF v4.5.2.

I have attached my namelist.input file for your reference.

P.S.: I am running another simulation with identical settings but a smaller timestep. So far I haven't seen this issue.

Thanks,

Chenghao

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4.8 KB · Views: 5
When you set a larger restart_interval to prevent the output of wrfrst, for example restart_interval = 144000, can the case run successfully?

Yes! Using a larger restart interval solved this issue. Do you know what triggered this weird behavior?

Thanks,

Chenghao

Chenghao,

This is an issue we are aware of, but we cannot repeat the same behavior at NCAR, which makes it hard for us to fix the problem. The larger restart interval is just a temporal fix.