Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF v4.2.1 vortex-following compilation error

jrudzin

Hello,

I am not able to compile WRF v4.2.1 with the vortex-following option serially using the Intel option (option 13) for the test case = em_quarter_ss. I successfully compiled using the no-nest option using compiling option 13. I found that this issue may have been addressed in WRF v4.4.1 so I downloaded and tried that version. Again, I was not able to compile with the vortex-following nest using option 13 (Intel) but I was able to using the no-nest option.

I found this thread (WRF4.4 compilation failed on vortex following nesting) and tried the suggested changes in the configure.wrf file using WRF 4.2.1 and it again did not compile correctly. Every time there is an error I get the same error. I have attached the error log from my last attempt that include: WRFV4.2.1 with vortex-following option, Intel compiler (option 13) with the edits suggested from the link above . I prefer to stay with WRFv4.2.1 since I am going to be using the time-varying point-downscaling method (Onderlinde and Nolan 2017) and the most up-to-date version the code is compatible with is 4.2.1

I have logically debugged the furthest I can for now, so help is greatly appreciated!!

Hi,
The vortex-following option is not meant to be used for any of the idealized cases. Did you try to compile em_real?

Hello,

I haven't tried using em_real since my intent is for idealized cases. The vortex-following nest in an idealized case was performed by Nolan 2011 (https://doi.org/10.1029/2011MS000063) and I am currently receiving instruction from a former graduate student of Nolan whom also set up a vortex-following nest using the em_quarter_ss idealized case for the purpose of using point-downscaling (Hylwiak and Nolan, 2021, The Response of the Near-Surface Tropical Cyclone Wind Field to Inland Surface Roughness Length and Soil Moisture Content during and after Landfall) The point-downscaling code developed by Nolan (2011) adjusts the WRF code to adjust the initial conditions to simulate vertical wind shear in the background state and also creates a bogus vortex in the initial field (the code was created prior to the development of em_tropical_cyclone hence why it uses the quarter_ss case). Would it help to provide my configure.wrf file?

I just wanted to provide an update that I spoke with Dr. Nolan who is most familiar with using moving nests in idealized WRF and we are working through this issue at the moment. I will update if there is still an issue.

After speaking with Dr. Nolan, I attempted to compile a real case to test compilation on my HPC system because he mentioned I should not have an issue with what I am trying to do and this test had the same error compiling. So now it seems that it is a system issue.

The supercomputer I am running on has modules so I have the netcdf, hdf5, perl, and jasper module loaded. Is there any suggestion I should check in further? Thanks

Hi, Can you attach your full compile log, as well as your configure.wrf file? Thanks!

Here are those files for the real case I compiled with vortex-following that has the same error as my ideal tests.

Hi, it looks like you forgot to attach the files. Can you try to attach them again? Thanks!

I tried multiple times to attach the files and it shows they are there and when I click save they aren't there anymore. So I had to change the file extension and it worked.

Attachments

• compile.real.log
    837.4 KB · Views: 4
  • configure.wrf.log
    23.2 KB · Views: 5
Hello - I resolved this issue on my own. I found out that Vortex-following WRF4.2 and 4.4 can only be compiled using distributed memory (I used option 35). It did not compile successfully serially.

Hi,
I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve it. Thanks for updating and let us know if we can help in the future.

Hello,

I haven't tried using em_real since my intent is for idealized cases. The vortex-following nest in an idealized case was performed by Nolan 2011 (https://doi.org/10.1029/2011MS000063) and I am currently receiving instruction from a former graduate student of Nolan whom also set up a vortex-following nest using the em_quarter_ss idealized case for the purpose of using point-downscaling (Hylwiak and Nolan, 2021, The Response of the Near-Surface Tropical Cyclone Wind Field to Inland Surface Roughness Length and Soil Moisture Content during and after Landfall) The point-downscaling code developed by Nolan (2011) adjusts the WRF code to adjust the initial conditions to simulate vertical wind shear in the background state and also creates a bogus vortex in the initial field (the code was created prior to the development of em_tropical_cyclone hence why it uses the quarter_ss case). Would it help to provide my configure.wrf file?
Hi, I'm a new student in this field and I'm also trying to work based on Nolan's point-downscaling method. My current work was to reproduce the basic "different shear affecting genesis" experiment, like the one in Nolan 2011 you mentioned. However, I failed to reproduce the result. My result is the opposite to what I expected: my result says that "higher shear leads to faster genesis", which is definitely wrong.

One of my wind profile is given below.

I think it's something to do with my shear setup. It's either my PDS shear is actually not what I plotted, or it might be that my wind profile itself will not reproduce Nolan's result. My vertical coordinate is in k coordinate, and it's a linear increase from the very bottom to the very top, instead of the "800hpa to 200hpa linear increase".

Do you have any idea on why my reproduction experiment fails?
1711026713644.png