Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF V4.2 metgrid.exe cannot read FILEs made with pywinter

GewellLlorin

Hello!

I'm attempting to downscale the results of a RegCM model (HadGEM2-ES) by using its output files as the boundary conditions of a WRF simulation. To do this, I used the pywinter library available on python for writing data to the WPS intermediate file format (documentation for the library is here.) I then linked the resulting files to the WPS library and ran metgrid.exe (geogrid.exe had already been run successfully.) However it gives the following error message repeatedly for all the timesteps:

Processing 2005-01-31_00
FILE
WARNING: Couldn't open file FILE:2005-01-31_00 for input.
SOIL
WARNING: Couldn't open file SOIL:2005-01-31_00 for input.
ERROR: The mandatory field TT was not found in any input data.
Abort(45131344) on node 0 (rank 0 in comm 0): application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 45131344) - process 0

I understand that this issue has actually been raised multiple times already but I was unable to continue the discussion on previous threads as they were already closed and archived. I also made sure to check my FILEs' names, contents, and location as advised by previous users and respondents before posting this thread as a last resort.

All files I thought could help are uploaded here. The scripts I used to create the intermediate files are under 'scripts.' The inputs they require are under 'inputs.' Some sample FILEs for the atmospheric/surface and soil variables they output are in 'FILES.' The namelist.wps, log file for metgrid, and a screenshot of me checking the contents of the FILEs are in 'diagnostics.'

I'm not quite sure now how to go about fixing the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and guidance!

Update! The issue seemed to be with the SOIL files not following the 6-hourly format of the other FILE inputs. I resampled it to 6-hourly files and metgrid.exe ran more or less successfully.

Great! Thanks for letting us know, and I apologize that you never received a response from us. It's possible we overlooked the email notification, which is never our intent. Thanks for your patience and for updating the post when you figured out the issue.