Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

wrfout with Ndown showing no results

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

Shak

Hello WRF Community,

I have been using WRF for the last couple of years, but this is my first attempt at using ndown.exe. I'm following steps mentioned in the WRF Tutorial for running ndown.exe from a 777m domain to 259m domain (https://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/docs/user_guide_v4/v4.0/users_guide_chap5.html#_e._One-way_Nested)
I was able to run wrf.exe for the nested domain (259m) successfully, following every step mentioned in the tutorial. However, while I checked the wrfout variables using ncview, I have found something strange. Most of the variables for the 259m domain have a blank screen except for the initial values. Then I checked wrfinfut, and wrfbdy files and found both of them were looked good. For example, I have attached ncview screen of U for wrfinput, and wrfout for two different times.

To cross-check the ndown process, I have done another one-way nesting simulation from the 2.3km domain to the 777m domain. For this case, I have found everything looks perfect. This makes me confused then what’s wrong with 777m to 259m.
At this point, I am not sure what’s causing the problem. I would be very grateful if someone helps me with this concern.

** I have used Cheyenne computer for these simulations**
P.s.’ I am attaching the namelist.input that I use for ndown and real wrf.

Thanks in advance for your help.
With Kind Regards
Shak

Attachments

• namelist_ndown.input
    4.7 KB · Views: 26
  • namelist_real.input
    4.7 KB · Views: 27
  • U_Wrfinput_d01.png
    U_Wrfinput_d01.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 320
  • U_Wrfout_d01_2nd time steps.png
    U_Wrfout_d01_2nd time steps.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 320
  • U_Wrfout_d01_first time steps.png
    U_Wrfout_d01_first time steps.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 321
For the ndown case, I suppose you produce wrfinput and wrfbdy successfully. Then you run wrf.exe. Have you checked the log file to make sure that wrf.exe is done successfully?

Ming Chen said:
For the ndown case, I suppose you produce wrfinput and wrfbdy successfully. Then you run wrf.exe. Have you checked the log file to make sure that wrf.exe is done successfully?
Hi Ming Chen, I don't find any problems with my log files. I am still having the same problem. I am looking forward to some help to sort out this strange issue.