Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

You have set surface_input_source = 3, but your geogrid data does not have valid dominant land use data.

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

juelun

Dear,
I use WRFV3.9.1 ,in em_real,after ./real.exe,I have an error
Code:
You have set surface_input_source = 3, but your geogrid data does not have valid dominant land use data.
In the file module_initialize_real.F,it seems that the lu_index in met* file is wrrong. But from ncdump,the lu_index is valid.

Attachments

• met_em.d01.2018-07-17_18_00_00.nc
    23.1 MB · Views: 35
  • namelist.input
    5.4 KB · Views: 50
  • namelist.wps
    1.8 KB · Views: 55
  • rsl.error.0000.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 41
Your namelist.wps and namelist.input both look fine, except that num_land_cat = 38. I suppose you have modified the codes to incorporate more land use type, right? However, your namelist.wps indicates that you only use modis_15s+default as your static inout data.
My question is: why do you set num_land_cat = 38?

In GEOGRID.TBL, the setting is the same you mentioned, i.e., dominant = LU_INDEX
I understand why set num_land_cat = 38 due to the different static dataset you used. I am just curious whether you also have changed the codes in order to make it work? And I suppose these changes are specifically conducted for this static dataset, please let me know if I am wrong.
If possible, would you please provide a brief description of the data and related code changes? Thanks.

Last edited:
These changes are for WUDAPT or LCZ. I make the related code changes with https://www.researchgate.net/public...-state_of_the_art_WRF_model_technical_details mainly in chapter 3. I changed 7 files in phys(module_sf_urban.F,module_surface_driver.F , module_sf_noahdrv.F,module_sf_bep.F,module_sf_bep_bem.F,module_sf_noahmp_groundwater.F,module_sf_noahmpdrv.F), URBPARM.TBL and LANDUSE.TBL to modify the number of urban type. And the static data of landuse is generated by SAGA-GIS with tool "Export WRF Geogrid Binary Format".

Thanks for the description and link to the paper. They are helpful for us to understand this specific case and provide reference for others who may want to do similar research.