Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

bl_mynn_tkebudget not working with V4.5

rewlluc

All,

I updraded my WRF version from 4.2 to 4.5 and now the bl_mynn_tkebudget parameter in namelist.input isn't recognized anymore.
In the release notes from 4.5 (Releases · wrf-model/WRF) I found the following:

(3) vacate bl_pbl_physics = 6 (now only run with bl_pbl_physics = 5); will instead regulate the closure level with new namelist variable “bl_mynn_closure” set to 2.5, 2.6, or 3.0,
(4) important bug fixes for the TKE budget and the bl_mynn_tkebudget flag is not renamed to tke_budget for use in other schemes (although may not be hooked up for other schemes yet),

But when I substitute bl_mynn_tkebudget with tke_budget, real.exe doesn't show any errors.

in the manual for V4.2 there is:
bl_mynn_tkebudget (max_dom) (new since V3.4.1)
0 (default) off
1 adds MYNN tke budget terms to output

but in the manual for 4.5 it is set like this:
bl_mynn_tkebudget0adds MYNN TKE budget terms to outputmax_dom

I do not get any error from real.exe using 0 or 1 for tke_budget. But which is the correct one now? In the manual for 4.5 there is no variable tke_budget listet.

My configuration in 4.2 was:
mp_physics = 4, 4, 4,
sf_sfclay_physics = 5, 5, 5,
sf_surface_physics = 2, 2, 2,
bl_pbl_physics = 5, 5, 5,
bl_mynn_tkebudget = 1,
bl_mynn_tkeadvect = .true.,

Can I use it like this in 4.5?
mp_physics = 4, 4, 4,
sf_sfclay_physics = 5, 5, 5,
sf_surface_physics = 2, 2, 2,
bl_pbl_physics = 5, 5, 5,
bl_mynn_closure = 2.5,
tke_budget = 0,
bl_mynn_tkeadvect = .true.,

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi,

bl_mynn_tkebudget no longer exists in WRFV4.5. It is replaced by tke_budget, which is a namelist option in WRFV4.5.
Please stay with the option tke_budget = 0 (or 1) if you run WRFV4.5

Hi,

Thank you. But what exactly do the options 0 and 1 for tke_budget mean in version 4.5? I could not find any information on this.

tke_budget = 0 means no MYNN tke budget terms will be output.
tke_budget = 1 indicates that MYNN tke budget terms will be included in wrfout files.

The variable you see is "DTKE" (not DKE). In the Registry.EM_COMMON file it is listed as the change in TKE.

Code:
state   real   dqke            ikj     misc   1    -      h        "Dtke"      "TKE change"    "m2 s-2"