Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Change the initial location of idealized TC

realfake

Hello,
I'm new to WRF and I am simulating an ideal tropical cyclone. When I use the default settings with the cyclone at the center of the domain, it appears that the cyclone does not move at all. I am interested in knowing how long it will take for the cyclone to exit my domain so that I can optimize my namelist accordingly. I guess maybe I should change the initial location of TC. Could you please provide any suggestions on how to make the cyclone move in this ideal case? Thank you for your assistance.

Hi,
Are you hoping to run a moving nest (vortex-following) simulation? Is this why you would like the know when the TC will exit the domain?

Hi,
Are you hoping to run a moving nest (vortex-following) simulation? Is this why you would like the know when the TC will exit the domain?
Yes, and I have found how to change the initial location of TC in the source code. The remaining question is how to make my TC move. Thank you!

Although the model lets you build it that way, the vortex-following code was written for use specifically with real-data cases, and therefore you won't be able to get the moving-nest results you're interested in with an idealized case.