Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

CLM in WRF

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

ejd_wrf_user

Hello,
One of the most useful/interesting components of CLM is the telescoping (i.e., land use; soil/snow columns; PFTs) structure in each grid cell. But when coupled to WRF, the preprocessing handles all of the land use/soil type data before WRF 'knows' which land surface model it will be using. So, the heterogeneity of the soil type information has already been removed when the grid is built in the pre-processing before WRF knows that it is using CLM (which is specified afterward in the model namelist).

Is my interpretation of this correct? For example, if you are running WRF with 15km horizontal grid spacing, the grid will be built with the land use/soil type information at 15 km before it 'knows' that CLM is the choice of LSM. Does that remove the useful telescoping structure?

How does this affect the performance of CLM in WRF? Does this mean the version of CLM in WRF is not the same as the stand alone version?

Hi,
I was just going through posts on this forum to make sure nothing has gone unanswered, and it's clear that this one was overlooked. I first would like to apologize for the very long delay in response. As this has been so long, have you been able to figure out the answers to your questions yet? If not, let me know what you're still unclear about and I'll reach out to someone who may have a better idea of the answers to get back to you.

You are right that soil heteorogeneity has been removed before wrf.exe starts. CLM in WRF should be different to stand-alone CLM because in WF, the CLM PTF are remapped to lands type of either USGS or MODIS. I don't think stand-alone CLM will do the same remapping.