Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Error in compiling WRF: "Problems building executables"

zlei2

Greeting all,

Nice to meet you! I followed the instruction step by step in OnLine Tutorial "Compiling WRF" . And I'm stopped by compiling WRF for 3 days. The compiling now always end with "Problems building executables, look for errors in the build log". Can you please help me with that? Appereciate for any advice. Before i questioned here, I did this step :"

If you need to obtain help or support regarding a compiling problem​

Repeat what you have done one more time:
./clean -a
./configure
./compile em_real >& log.compile" in the OnLine Tutorial

Here I attached log.compile and configure.wrf.
My system informations are as below:
Operating System: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 7.9 (Maipo)
Kernel:Linux 3.10.0-1160.62.1.el7.x86_64
Architecture: x86-64

Thank you,
Ziyan Lei

Hi Ziyan,
It looks like you may have forgotten to attach the compile log and configure.wrf file. Do you mind trying to attach them again? Thanks!

Hi Ziyan,
It looks like you may have forgotten to attach the compile log and configure.wrf file. Do you mind trying to attach them again? Thanks!
Sorry for that, I reuploaded th files. They seems to be deleted by me during edit!
Thank you for responding to me, Have a nice weekend!

Attachments

• log.compile.txt
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • configure.wrf.txt
    21.5 KB · Views: 8
Thank you for sending those. I believe the issue is that you are using a very old version of GNU (V4.8.5) to compile WRF version 4.5.1. Because the compiler is so old, it's not able to compile the newer versions of WRF. Since GNU is free software, can you update to one of the latest versions and try again? For reference, the default GNU compiler we use on our NCAR HPC is version 10.1.0, and it seems to work well.

Thank you for sending those. I believe the issue is that you are using a very old version of GNU (V4.8.5) to compile WRF version 4.5.1. Because the compiler is so old, it's not able to compile the newer versions of WRF. Since GNU is free software, can you update to one of the latest versions and try again? For reference, the default GNU compiler we use on our NCAR HPC is version 10.1.0, and it seems to work well.
Dear Mr.kwerner, thank you very much!!! I've made it by following your advice. And I have learnt to read the log file then fixed the problem during compiling WPS. Appreciate for you help. Best wishes!

Dear Mr.kwerner, thank you very much!!! I've made it by following your advice. And I have learnt to read the log file then fixed the problem during compiling WPS. Appreciate for you help. Best wishes!
Excuse me sir,
im an student that learn about wrf now, in this case im use WRF Chem V4.4
I get a problem with my WRF in compile em_real, looks like the problem same like u got was, i uSe GNU v4.8.5. When you solve that problem, you just change the GNU version, or anything else needed to do in this case,
thank you,

Excuse me sir,
im an student that learn about wrf now, in this case im use WRF Chem V4.4
I get a problem with my WRF in compile em_real, looks like the problem same like u got was, i uSe GNU v4.8.5. When you solve that problem, you just change the GNU version, or anything else needed to do in this case,
thank you,
Hi, loga! nice to meet you. what I did will be listed as follow:
1)I changed my GNU version from V4.8.5 to V9.3.0. By loading mudule in cluster.
2)I fully deleted the files I compiled before and the relative variable in my ~/.bashrc, in my case, they are netcdf-c, netcdf-fortran, mpich, zlib, libpng, jasper, WPS and WRF.
3)I reinstall these files with V9.3.0 GNU.
Everything goes pretty well then.

Hi, loga! nice to meet you. what I did will be listed as follow:
1)I changed my GNU version from V4.8.5 to V9.3.0. By loading mudule in cluster.
2)I fully deleted the files I compiled before and the relative variable in my ~/.bashrc, in my case, they are netcdf-c, netcdf-fortran, mpich, zlib, libpng, jasper, WPS and WRF.
3)I reinstall these files with V9.3.0 GNU.
Everything goes pretty well then.
hi sir, i already try this way, but i think it still error in my case, can i know what module do you use in this case to install all library, i tried using module wrf chem form Hydro Informatics Institute (HII) thailand, using ubuntu 22.04, and GNU that im use in this case is 11.4