Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Error running ndown : "Found *date*_06:00 before I found *date*_00:00"

Arty

Hello,

I got previous data from a 33 vert. levels simulation accross South Pacific I want to use for a downscaling simulation over a smaller area. I'm aware of UPP possibilities and I intend to try it next, but I would like to make it work with ndown.

I passed the real.exe step and got all required files (including specific ndown files) cheating a little bit : I got 33-levels wrfouts* but 50-levels met_em --> that's the only way I managed to run real.exe / else I got "Not enough levels to reach p_top (5000)" error when setting 33 levels. I was said it shouldn't be problematic, but it might anyway (now or later), so it seems legit to inform you.
So, when I run my test configuration (see attached file for namelist) for 5 days, it crashes immediately and I get this in rsl.error.0000 :

-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 366
Found 2005-02-02_06:00:00 before I found 2005-02-02_00:00:00.
-------------------------------------------

I checked (the best I could) all paths in the PBS script to exclude this possibilty : seems OK. Anyway, this doesn't seem like a file location problem, as one file is found, but not the previous one. I also checked that I have all met_em* and other files for each required 6-hours timesteps : I do ; only wrfout* used as input for downscalig are recorded as daily files.

I'm kind of stuck here so if anyone have an idea how to solve this problem, it'd be great.

Also : could someone tell me where should I look about this line :

FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 366

There must be something intersting to understand the error, but I don't know where to look (except the LINE number).

Thank you.

Attachments

• namelist_ndown.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 6
Hi,
A couple of questions:
1) Are you getting this error when you run ndown.exe? Can you detail the steps you took and which files you have before/after each step?
2) When you say you obtained previous data, do you mean you have wrfout* files from a previous run? Do you still have the wrfbdy_d01 file for the parent domain?
3) Can you attach the full output/error file (e.g., rsl.error.0000)?
Thanks!

Hi,
A couple of questions:
1) Are you getting this error when you run ndown.exe? Can you detail the steps you took and which files you have before/after each step?
2) When you say you obtained previous data, do you mean you have wrfout* files from a previous run? Do you still have the wrfbdy_d01 file for the parent domain?
3) Can you attach the full output/error file (e.g., rsl.error.0000)?
Thanks!
Hello kwerner

1) Yes (see Help & tips using ndown for config details)

2) Yes, wrfout* I'm willing to use as input come from previous PhD work
And no : I recreated wrfbdy from a new config which d01 is exactly the same as my wrfout* and forced by CFSR --> because I've been told I only need few timesteps (via real.exe) to initiate ndown/wrf.exe.

3) I didn't save it and I circumvented the problem (and got new errors... so much fun xD) :
I just changed my namelist to start simulation on the 3rd of February instead of 2nd. First timestep is always 06:00 and not 00:00 hence I was missing the 00:00 timestep for the 2nd of February and simulation crashes.

This case can be closed. Thanks for your answer anyway, it's very conforting not feeling alone in all this.

Thank you for updating the post with the problem and solution. It may help another user in the future! Glad you got it figured out.

Hello kwerner

1) Yes (see Help & tips using ndown for config details)

2) Yes, wrfout* I'm willing to use as input come from previous PhD work
And no : I recreated wrfbdy from a new config which d01 is exactly the same as my wrfout* and forced by CFSR --> because I've been told I only need few timesteps (via real.exe) to initiate ndown/wrf.exe.

3) I didn't save it and I circumvented the problem (and got new errors... so much fun xD) :
I just changed my namelist to start simulation on the 3rd of February instead of 2nd. First timestep is always 06:00 and not 00:00 hence I was missing the 00:00 timestep for the 2nd of February and simulation crashes.

This case can be closed. Thanks for your answer anyway, it's very conforting not feeling alone in all this.
Hello, I have also encountered this problem with you. May I know how to solve it?

Hello, I have also encountered this problem with you. May I know how to solve it?

I had input files which started at different times between wrfinput (created by WPS/REAL) starting at 00:00 and wrfout (input for ndown.exe) starting at 06:00. I was missing a timestep so I just did post-schedule my ndown-run start-time to the next day (I could have post-scheduled from just 1 timestep).
Does this help ?

我的输入文件在 wrfinput(由 WPS/REAL 创建)从 00:00 开始和 wrfout(ndown.exe 的输入)从 06:00 开始之间的不同时间开始。我错过了一个时间步,所以我只是将我的 ndown-run 开始时间后安排到第二天(我可以只从 1 个时间步开始后安排)。
这有帮助吗?
Thank you very much for your reply. My input file time is consistent with the wrfout time, but this error still occurs. I will try again. Thank you

Hi! @Kongs, in case you haven't solved the issue yet; the issue is probably because the model is expecting inputs at a certain time interval (interval_seconds in namelist.input), but the wrfout_d0*_<date> file that you use is having a different data/time interval. This mis match results in the error. Changing "interval_seconds" in namelist.input would therefore solve the concern.

For example: interval_seconds=3600 (1 hour)... but your model wrfout_d*_<date> file have data every 3hours, then this error will pop up.

In case there is another reason like @Arty pointed out, please share with us.

I have been experiencing the same issue while using the ndown.exe. I have even kept the interval_seconds and wrfout_d* files in the same interval time as mentioned from namelist file too. I am attaching my rsl.error file and namelist.input files herewith. I have done all the steps as mentioned in the user guide.

Attachments

• namelist.input
    4.3 KB · Views: 1
  • rsl.error.0000
    2.1 KB · Views: 1
I have been experiencing the same issue while using the ndown.exe. I have even kept the interval_seconds and wrfout_d* files in the same interval time as mentioned from namelist file too. I am attaching my rsl.error file and namelist.input files herewith. I have done all the steps as mentioned in the user guide.

From your rsl* file, I can read that your wrfndi_d02 does not start at the same date as the namelist states (edit : in fact it is not the start, but the second time-step - see last message) :
Code:
Input data is acceptable to use: wrfndi_d02
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE:  <stdin>  LINE:     368
Found 2006-08-01_01:01:12 before I found 2006-08-01_01:00:00.

Moreover, I find it quite strange that your wrfndi_d02 or wrfout* used as input for NDOWN has a " 01:01:12 " time-stamp. Is it expected ?
Anyway, you need to make sure that the start dates and time-steps are the same between wrfndi/wrfout and the NDOWN namelist.

Also - it is more of a WRF than NDOWN remark -, I don't know for more recent version of WRF, but I'm surprised by the 108 seconds time-steps. I thought WRF prefered timestep value that divides 3600 giving an integer.

Last edited:
Hii,
I checked the time variable in the wrfndi file and it shows the same date as in my namelist file (attaching a screenshot). I have not made any changes to my namelist file in terms of time step between wrfout/wrfndi and NDOWN runs.
Secondly, even I have not been able to understand why I am having this time-stamp, I have initialized my interval seconds as 3600 and history interval to be the same, so I would expect my output files at an hourly separation.
Also, 108 sec timestep is based on my domain resolution, which i found in the documentation that time step should be ideally 3xDX or 4xDX, where DX is my domain resolution in kms. Since my outer domain is 27km, I went with 27x4= 108 as my time-step.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-09-27 11-32-20.png
    Screenshot from 2024-09-27 11-32-20.png
    47 KB · Views: 1
Hii,
I checked the time variable in the wrfndi file and it shows the same date as in my namelist file (attaching a screenshot). I have not made any changes to my namelist file in terms of time step between wrfout/wrfndi and NDOWN runs.
Secondly, even I have not been able to understand why I am having this time-stamp, I have initialized my interval seconds as 3600 and history interval to be the same, so I would expect my output files at an hourly separation.
Also, 108 sec timestep is based on my domain resolution, which i found in the documentation that time step should be ideally 3xDX or 4xDX, where DX is my domain resolution in kms. Since my outer domain is 27km, I went with 27x4= 108 as my time-step.
OK, did you already run your model (WRF) with this timestep ? If not, you might have to deal with the timestep later. BTW, from my knowledge, a 6DX timestep is OK (and will be less time consuming). I mentioned the timestep because I had trouble when originally setting my model timestep to 42s for a 7km resolution and WRF didn't want to run (3600/42 = not integer) : had to change it to 40s.

Oh... That makes me think. I believe I understand where your problem comes from :

Your rsl* file states that it finds a time-step at 01:01:12, which corresponds to 3600 + 60 + 12 = 3672 seconds : 3672 / 108 (your time-steps) = 34, an integer. I think you really must choose a timestep that divides 3600 seconds (= hourly outputs) by an integer. The fact is that the second timestep of your wrfout* does not match the second time-step of your namelist. You cannot get an output in the middle of an unprocessed time-step.

Lastly : the 6DX (or 4DX) rule is not a "rule" per se : it is more of an order of magnitude to avoid CFL crash. It is advised however not be higher than 6DX. Example, my case above : 6DX = 42 ; I could have chosen 45s (that also divides 3600 in an integer) but I rather chose 40s.
Please note, however, that this rule only applies for the mother domain : if you ever model nested domains, then the nested domain's time-step may not be an integer as WRF will decompose the new time-step as its integer part plus its fraction part ; example with my own case : I nested a 2.333km domain inside my 7km domain, the time-step of 40s in d01 was divded by 3 (as the resolution ratio) which lead to a 13 + 1/3 time-step for d02 (see that 3600 / (13 + 1/3) = 270 : still an integer so that one hour always contains an integer number of time-steps).

Last edited: