Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to reduce the amount of wrfout data

hsenghor

Hi all,
I need your help about wrf output.
There are a lot off variables that I do not need in the

output files.

I have applied the method that you given but nothing is changed.
I have exactly used this method below :

&time_control
iofields_filename = “my_file_d01.txt”, “my_file_d02.txt”
ignore_iofields_warning = .true.,
/

The contents of the text file associates a stream ID (0 is the default history and input) with a variable, and whether the field is to be added or removed. The state variables must already be defined in the Registry file. Following are a few examples:
-:h:0:RAINC,RAINNC
would remove the fields RAINC and RAINNC from the standard history file.

That for your help.

Please modify Registry to remove those variables you don't want. Below is an example:

Suppose you don't want the variable SNOWNC, you can find the following line in Registry.EM_COMMON:

state real SNOWNC ij misc 1 - rhdu "SNOWNC" "ACCUMULATED TOTAL GRID SCALE SNOW AND ICE" "mm"

You can remove 'h' from the 8th column, and the line will be:

state real SNOWNC ij misc 1 - rdu "SNOWNC" "ACCUMULATED TOTAL GRID SCALE SNOW AND ICE" "mm"

Follow the same to remove 'h' for other state variables you don't need.

Then please recompile the code. Remember to type ./clean -a before recompiling.

@hsenghor
You should be able to use the Runtime I/O method you mentioned in your original post, without having to recompile the model. Can you attach your namelist.input file, as well as your my_file_d01.txt and my_file_d02.txt files? After you run using that method, please also issue
ncdump -h wrfout... >& wrfout.log.txt

using the full name of one of your new wrfout files (make sure you're not looking at any older wrfout* files that may remain in your directory), and attach that wrfout.log.txt file, as well. Thanks!

Thanks Kelly,
Please enclosed my file_d01 and the namelist.input
In this exemple, I have just used one domain.
@hsenghor
You should be able to use the Runtime I/O method you mentioned in your original post, without having to recompile the model. Can you attach your namelist.input file, as well as your my_file_d01.txt and my_file_d02.txt files? After you run using that method, please also issue
ncdump -h wrfout... >& wrfout.log.txt

using the full name of one of your new wrfout files (make sure you're not looking at any older wrfout* files that may remain in your directory), and attach that wrfout.log.txt file, as well. Thanks!

Attachments

• my_file_d01.txt
    38 bytes · Views: 12
  • namelist.input
    3.1 KB · Views: 7
The wrfout.log.txt file is specific to the wrf history file "wrfout_d02_2023-06-26_06-00-00," but your namelist shows that you are only running a single domain. Can you do the 'ncdump' command for a domain 01 history file, and send a new wrfout.log.txt file? Thanks!

The wrfout.log.txt file is specific to the wrf history file "wrfout_d02_2023-06-26_06-00-00," but your namelist shows that you are only running a single domain. Can you do the 'ncdump' command for a domain 01 history file, and send a new wrfout.log.txt file? Thanks!

Hello Kelly sorry for the delay.
I was out of the office.
Please find enclosed the good file.

Attachments

• wrfoutd01.log.txt
    50.7 KB · Views: 2
  • wrfoutd01.log.txt
    50.7 KB · Views: 2
Hi,
I would like to apologize for the long delay. I've been out of the office for the past 2.5 weeks. I have run a test using your namelist and your "my_file_d01.txt" file, but I'm unable to repeat the issue you're seeing. When I run wrf.exe, the variables mentioned in the text file are not included in the wrf output. I'm not sure why it's not working for your simulation. The only suggestion I can give is to try to re-run it, and make sure you don't have older wrfout* files in your running directory, so as to not get them confused.

Hi,
I would like to apologize for the long delay. I've been out of the office for the past 2.5 weeks. I have run a test using your namelist and your "my_file_d01.txt" file, but I'm unable to repeat the issue you're seeing. When I run wrf.exe, the variables mentioned in the text file are not included in the wrf output. I'm not sure why it's not working for your simulation. The only suggestion I can give is to try to re-run it, and make sure you don't have older wrfout* files in your running directory, so as to not get them confused.
Ok thanks Kelly for your collaboration.
I gonna try again and will let you know. Many thanks