Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

makefile:27: recipe for target 'wrf_io.o' failed


New member

I am trying to compile WRF 3.9.1. I have to use this version because it's the only one that works with this specific parameter scheme I want to use.

After trying this command while compiling:

gfortran -O2 -ftree-vectorize -funroll-loops -w -ffree-form -ffree-line-length-none -fconvert=big-endian -frecord-marker=4 -o wrf_io.o -I/glade/u/apps/ch/opt/netcdf/4.8.1/gnu/10.1.0//include -I../ioapi_share -c wrf_io.f

The following error comes up:

makefile:27: recipe for target 'wrf_io.o' failed

This occurs on line 156 and happens for subsequent files as well.

Attached is my compile.log



  • compile.log
    558 KB · Views: 1
This error is possibly attributed to a problem with netCDF. It can be that netCDF was not installed properly, or that netCDF was not built with the same compiler that you are using to build WRF. Please take a look at this page and follow the instructions to red again.
Hi Ming,

Thank you kindly for your response. So I had copied that code from someone's directory off the same server. That code was already compiled, so I didn't need to compile it in the first place!

I'm having a secondary problem where real.exe keeps failing. I'm getting the classic ERROR while reading namelist domains. Here is my &domains, do you spot anything right off the bat?

time_step = 4,
time_step_fract_num = 0,
time_step_fract_den = 1,
max_dom = 1,
e_we = 901,
e_sn = 601,
e_vert = 81,
dzstretch_s = 1.1,
p_top_requested = 20000,
num_metgrid_levels = 38,
num_metgrid_soil_levels = 4,
dx = 900,
dy = 900,
grid_id = 1,
parent_id = 0,
i_parent_start = 1,
j_parent_start = 1,
parent_grid_ratio = 1,
parent_time_step_ratio = 1,
feedback = 0,
smooth_option = 0
eta_levels = 1,0.997610475,0.995166855,0.992669547,0.990125981,0.98749039,0.984743859,0.981861602,0.978814841,0.975571256,0.972094234,
0.374200618,0.350537002,0.326767647,0.303029384,0.279427582,0.256015286,0.232803081,0.209796608,0.187038239,0.164634766, 0.142746271,0.121566969,0.101310932,0.082175447,0.064361153,0.048011073,0.0332506,0.020277554,0.009283118,0
wif_input_opt = 1,
num_wif_levels = 30,
This problem has been solved. For anyone who might be reading this. I simply removed dzstretch_s = 1.1, and I set p_top_requested = 5000
Thanks for the update. Note that dzstretch_s is the surface stretch factor, which is not consistent with the eta levels you explicitly specified. The option here is that, you either run REAL with the option (auto_levels_opt = 1 or 2), or you explicitly define eta levels. Please avoid conflicting options in the namelist.