Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Mismatch between namelist and wrf input files for dimension NUM_LAND_CAT

Zoo

Dear all,

I'm having this problem with WRF3.3 (a specific task that should be down with this old version), and I collocated WPS3.8.

The problem I faced is similar to this: Real.exe claims NUM_LAND_CAT = 0 but untrue
I run WPS and get met_em_d* files without errors, and ./real.exe with no issue, and can verify that NUM_LAND_CAT = 21 both in these files and in my WRF namelist.input and namelist.output (attached). But when I run real.exe it crashes with the below error, which is duplicated in a couple of my rsl.out files.

Also, I changed the "real_em.F" as provided in the forum, but it didn't work.

I suppose it might be the mismatch between version 3.3 and 3.8, but don't know how to verify this.
P.S. I attached the namelist.wps, namelist.input, rsl.error.0000. And in the WRF run directory, I used the command "ls -ls >& ls.txt", which is attached as well.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Zoo

Timing for Writing wrfout_d01_2021-07-19_06:00:00 for domain 1: 127.39010 elapsed seconds.
d01 2021-07-19_06:00:00 MMINLU error on input
----------------- ERROR -------------------
namelist : NUM_LAND_CAT = 21
input files : NUM_LAND_CAT = 24 (from geogrid selections).
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 587
-------------------------------------------
Abort(1) on node 0 (rank 0 in comm 0): application called MPI_Abort(MPI_COMM_WORLD, 1) - process 0

Attachments

• namelist.input
    6.3 KB · Views: 9
  • namelist.wps
    1.6 KB · Views: 13
  • rsl.error.0000
    8.1 KB · Views: 2
  • ls.txt
    38 KB · Views: 1
I really appreciate your help!

The question is I reset the NUM_LAND_CAT = 24, then the error becomes (while ./real.exe):
----------------- ERROR -------------------
namelist : NUM_LAND_CAT = 24
input files : NUM_LAND_CAT = 21 (from geogrid selections).
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 587

It seems they always mismatch no matter I change, and I don't know why.
Here are the namelist.input and rsl.error.0000. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• namelist.input
    6.3 KB · Views: 6
  • rsl.error.0000
    2 KB · Views: 2
Are you running the case with the same met_em files? In your first post, the error message clearly indicates that NUM_LAND_CAT = 24 in your met_em files. However, in your 2nd post, NUM_LAND_CAT = 21 in your met_em file. This is really perplexing.

Now let's make sure what the number is. Suppose you have a met_em file, e.g., met_em.d01.2022-09-11_00.nc, please aissue the command:

ncdump -h met_em.d01.2022-09-11_00.nc | grep NUM_LAND_CAT

It will give you the result like: :NUM_LAND_CAT = 21 or :NUM_LAND_CAT = 24

This is the number you should specify in your namelist.input.

Thank you for your reply!
I tried the command you mentioned, and I got:
ncdump -h met_em.d01.2021-07-19_18:00:00.nc | grep NUM_LAND_CAT
:NUM_LAND_CAT = 21 ;

This goes back to the very beginning when the error said input files : NUM_LAND_CAT = 24 (from geogrid selections).
It's confusing.

I found someone got the same problems here: Mismatch between namelist and wrf input files for dimension NUM_LAND_CAT , but he didn't finish this thread.

Thank you again!

In your namelist.wps, you use the 'default' option to run geogrid, which indicates that you use MODIS land use data. In this case, NUM_LAND_CAT = 21 is correct. This is also what you saw in your met_em files.
However, the error message seems to indicate that NUM_LAND_CAT is not the same in all the met_em file.
Can you delete all met_em, then rerun metgrid.exe, and then try again?
Please let me know whether it can fix your issue.

I really appreciate your help!

First I use the command: ncdump -h met* | grep NUM_LAND_CAT to check every met_em file, and they are all consistent in 21, that's weird.
Then I did the steps you mentioned, delete all met_em and rerun the metgrid.exe then it was solved!

Thanks a lot for your kind help!

Best regards,
Zoo