Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

"No average surface temperature for use with inland lakes"

wenli

Hello,
There is an error "No average surface temperature for use with inland lakes" when I run real.exe. One solution I found is change "surface_input_source=3" to 1 in the namelist.input. But it didn't work.
There is no error or fatal information in the rsl.error.0000, too. wrfbdy_d01 and wrfinput_d01 have been produced, but the files for d02 didn't exist.
I use the FNL data in my work. The rsl.error.0000, namelist.input are uploaded.
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• rsl.error.0000
    4.9 KB · Views: 2
  • namelist.input
    4.8 KB · Views: 2
Hi,
Apologies for the delay in response. Are you still having trouble with this issue? The message you're seeing (No average surface temperature...) shouldn't be causing any problem. It seems more that real.exe just hangs. I don't really think this is causing the issue, but can you try using 8x8 (64 total) processors, instead of 8x16? I expect it will still fail. If so, please package all of the rsl* files into a single *.tar file and attach that so I can take a look. Thanks!

Hi,
Apologies for the delay in response. Are you still having trouble with this issue? The message you're seeing (No average surface temperature...) shouldn't be causing any problem. It seems more that real.exe just hangs. I don't really think this is causing the issue, but can you try using 8x8 (64 total) processors, instead of 8x16? I expect it will still fail. If so, please package all of the rsl* files into a single *.tar file and attach that so I can take a look. Thanks!
Thank you for your response. I'm sorry to respond so late. All of the rsl* files are uploaded. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• WRF.tar.gz
    60.2 KB · Views: 2
Hi,
In some of the rsl files, I found the following error:

Code:
----- ERROR: The reference pressure is not monotonically decreasing
             This tends to be caused by very high topography
 (i,j) =          205         149 , topography =    6677.006      m
 k =           13 , reference pressure =    39064.41      Pa
 k =           14 , reference pressure =    39109.95      Pa
-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE:  <stdin>  LINE:    1249   
 In the dynamics namelist record, reduce etac from   0.2000000
-------------------------------------------

I would suggest to first try reducing etac. It's not currently listed in your namelist, but that means the model just uses the default value of 0.2. You can add it to the namelist and set it to a lower value to see if it makes any difference. If not, take a look at this post, where a user offers their solution. If none of that helps, can you share a couple times of your met_em.d01* and met_em.d02* files so I can try to test it? Those files will be too large, so take a look at the home page of this forum for instructions on sharing large files. Thanks!

Hi,
thank you for your help. It made new errors after I reduced etac, and I found the solution for the errors, like downloading the fnl data files again. It runs correctly now.
I greatly appreciate your help as it was possible to solve the problem :D

Hi,
thank you for your help. It made new errors after I reduced etac, and I found the solution for the errors, like downloading the fnl data files again. It runs correctly now.
I greatly appreciate your help as it was possible to solve the problem :D
Hello, I'm experiencing a similar problem, but I don't think it's a problem with fnl's data, I realized that I'm getting this error after expanding my study area (I had a smaller study area before), how did you solve this problem exactly?

Hello, I'm experiencing a similar problem, but I don't think it's a problem with fnl's data, I realized that I'm getting this error after expanding my study area (I had a smaller study area before), how did you solve this problem exactly?
Sorry for reply late. I only replaced the fnl datas used in my case and then it ran with no error info.