Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

On the use of different CBMZ, initial conditions and emissions

fjpi

Hi all,

I am a new user of WRF-Chem and have several questions related with CBMZ and initialization of the simulation:

1) Can I use prep_chem and/or the programs provided by NCAR to prepare the emissions (bio, anthro) when using the CBMZ chem_opt?

2) Can I use the software mozbc to initialize the chemical profiles from CAM-Chem for a simulation with CBMZ?

3) If I wanted to include aerosols by using MOSAIC (chem_opt=6), how should I initialize the files? Could I use prep_chem?

In general, I would really appreciate any general explanation on how to initialize the simulation when using CBMZ.

Thank you in advance!

Hi,

1) Yes, you can use these programs, you just need to ensure you are creating the correct emission fields for your desired mechanism.
2) Yes, you will just need to build the mapping namelist for CAM-Chem species to CBMZ species
3) PREP_CHEM is used for emissions, not initialization. You could also use CAM-Chem for aerosol init. In all init cases, you could use the default initial and boundary conditions within WRF-Chem.

Jordan

Hi,

1) Yes, you can use these programs, you just need to ensure you are creating the correct emission fields for your desired mechanism.
2) Yes, you will just need to build the mapping namelist for CAM-Chem species to CBMZ species
3) PREP_CHEM is used for emissions, not initialization. You could also use CAM-Chem for aerosol init. In all init cases, you could use the default initial and boundary conditions within WRF-Chem.

Jordan
Dear Jordan,

thank you for your reply.

Regards,
Javier