Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Problem with avg_tsfc.exe

sauravshuvo

I want to calculate the daily mean surface temperature with avg_tsfc.exe (as described in The WRF Preprocessing System (WPS) — WRF Users Guide documentation). I followed the process described there. I see that everything works smoothly, and I get a message "*** Successful completion of program avg_tsfc.exe ***". But, the TAVGSFC file is not generated. In fact, there is no new file in my folder. What could the problem be? And what would be the solution for that?

Attachments

• namelist.wps
    835 bytes · Views: 3
Hi,

In your namelist.wps, you specify the following options:

Code:
&share
start_date = '2020-02-06_00:00:00', '2020-02-06_00:00:00',
end_date   = '2020-02-13_00:00:00', '2020-02-13_00:00:00',
&ungrib
out_format = 'WPS',
prefix = 'FILE',
/
&metgrid
 fg_name = 'FILE',
 io_form_metgrid = 2,
/

Would you please check whether you have "FILE:yyyy-mm-dd_hh" in your WPS directory? if so, how many do you have?

Please issue the command "ls -l FILE:* > log" and send me the log file to take a look.

By the way, what data did you ungrib to produce the intermediate files?

Hello!
I think there are 57 files in the directory. However, I have attached the log file as you said.
I am using ERA5 data in this process.

Attachments

• file.log
    4.2 KB · Views: 1
The files look fine. I just did a quick test using FILE from GFS and it works fine for me. I am suspicious whether something is wrong in your intermediate files.

Please issue the command in WPS and send me the log file to take a look:
./util/rd_intermediate.exe FILE:2020-02-07_12 > log

Thanks.

I found that there is no surface temperature in your intermediate files. This explains why avg_tsfc.exe cannot yield TAVGSFC files.

This problem can be traced back to the ERA5 data you ungrib. Where did you download the ERA5 data? I attach in this post an instruction how to obtain all ERA5 data files (from CISL RDA) required by WPS. Please take a look.

Hope it is helpful for you.

Attachments

• ERA5_download_instruction.pdf
    539.2 KB · Views: 2