Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Question about 'landuse' in MPAS model.

WHY

Dear WRF&MPAS experts,

I am working with the MPAS model to run sensitivity experiments on urban effects. However, i am not sure how to modify the landuse in this model.

In the WRF model, it's easy to change 'LU_INDEX' and 'LANDUSEF', but i can't find the equivalent variables in the MPAS model. Are they 'ivgtyp' and 'vegfra'?
Can I modify these in the init file as i did in the WRF model, or should i change the values in both 'LANDUSE.TBL' and 'VEGPARM.TBL' before generating the static file?

By the way, has the urban parameterization been updated in V8.2?

I appreciate much for your help!

The variable ivgtyp in MPAS static data is equivalent to LU_Index in WRF. You can modify this variable and don't touch 'LANDUSE.TBL' and 'VEGPARM.TBL'.

There is no urban physics update in MPASv8.2.0.

Thank you very much for your help!

I noticed that the 'config_urban_physics' is available in V8.2 but not in V7.0. The user guide describes it as "logical for turn on/off the urban physics parameterization (hidden by default)". If I turn it on, what could be different in the MPAS model?

The urban codes are included in MPAS. But the option for urban physics is hardcoded to be always turned off. Please see
mpas_atmphys_driver_lsm.F, in which it is declares:

integer, parameter:: sf_urban_physics = 0

Would you please turn on config_urban_physics and set sf_urban_physics = 1, then run a test? Please let me know whether it works. My understanding is that urban physics doesn't work in MPAS, but I could be wrong.

Thanks.

The urban codes are included in MPAS. But the option for urban physics is hardcoded to be always turned off. Please see
mpas_atmphys_driver_lsm.F, in which it is declares:

integer, parameter:: sf_urban_physics = 0

Would you please turn on config_urban_physics and set sf_urban_physics = 1, then run a test? Please let me know whether it works. My understanding is that urban physics doesn't work in MPAS, but I could be wrong.

Thanks.

The results shows no significant changes when I turn on or turn off the 'config_urban_physics' option.

I then set the 'sf_urban_physics = 1' in mpas_atmphys_driver_lsm.F and re-compiled the atmosphere core. But after that the model fails to work and exits at the first time step. The log file is attached.

It appears that MPAS model doesn't support urban canopy physics.

Thank you for your help again!

Thank you for the update.

Your tests confirmed that urban physics currently does not work in MPAS. I apologize for the inconvenience caused by this.

I have talked to our experts and we will see whether we can get enough support to make it work.