Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Reoccurring trend in WRF results (solved)

BartSmulders

Hi all,
I'm not sure how to clearly describe my problem, but I have tried to take the mean value of my area and plot this over all the days I modelled to get a view of the season bond variations. However, as shown in the figure below, the same trend occurs 3 times in my output, which is obviously incorrect. I think this has something to do with how the data is nudged, but I don't even know how to start figuring out if this is the issue. Does anyone know why this happens and what I can do about it?

Additional info:
The start and end dates of the figure below are 1st of April - 30th of September (recent is averaged over the years 2008 - 2017 and future 2050 - 2059)
However WRF was run 3 times. First, for the months of June, July, and August and then a restart of that data for September; I also ran it a last time for the months of April and March. Therefore, the steep drops are because 1. the data doesn't neatly continue and 2. because the "warm-up" time should have been longer.

I also see the same thing happening for different variables like water vapour mixing ratio and windspeed, although the trends are not the same as this one.

monthly temperature variability1.png

Hi,
Apologies for the long delay in response. Are you still experiencing this issue? If so, you mention that you believe the result may have something to do with the way the data is nudged.

1. Are you using any type of nudging?
2. Just to verify - do the deep drops in temperature correspond with the restart times?
3. Can you attach your full namelist.input file?

Thanks!

Hi,
Apologies for the long delay in response. Are you still experiencing this issue? If so, you mention that you believe the result may have something to do with the way the data is nudged.

1. Are you using any type of nudging?
2. Just to verify - do the deep drops in temperature correspond with the restart times?
3. Can you attach your full namelist.input file?

Thanks!
Hi,

Yes, I managed to fix the issue (forgot to close this thread).
The input data was created using only a 3 month period but the files were still named for the whole period.

Cheers.