Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

(RESOLVED) forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred --> namelist typo

Arty

Hello,

I already read multiple posts on this forum quoting this error but none of the provided issues to check or solution to try seemed to work (e.g. : no CFL error).

I'm using inputs from ndown.exe (originating from wrfout* by WRF 3.6.1) into a 2-domains (121x121) nested run by WRF 4.2.1 (feedback on). WPS process has been done using CFSR data. I did correct every errors that occured before this one, notably consistency between WRF 3.6.1 and WRF 4.2.1 namelists (force_use_old_data, gwd_opt, use_theta_m ...). I tested runs on 1 node (28 proc.) and 2 nodes (with default config on x/y/io) ... The only thing I didn't try is to change sf_urban_physics because previous wrfout* used as inputs have it set to zero, as in my config.
Segmentation fault is mentioned in 32 rsl.error* files out of 56 (for the last try with 2 nodes).

Note that the exact same config ran correctly as a classic 2-domains 2-way-nesting forced by CFSR data only.

Thanks for your help. Attached you'll find namelist.input and rsl.error.0000 files.

Attachments

• namelist.input
    8.7 KB · Views: 9
  • rsl.error.0000
    5.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I think I found the problem's origin... A typo in central_lon :

> grep central *.*
configure.namelist.real:# central_lat : latitude at the center of the domain
configure.namelist.real:# central_lon : longitude at the center of the domain
configure.namelist.real:central_lat=-17.62045
configure.namelist.real:central_lon=-149.5906

> ncdump geo_em.d02.nc |grep 'CEN'
:CEN_LAT = -17.62045f ;
:CEN_LON = -149.5606f ;
:MOAD_CEN_LAT = -17.90401f ;

I'm re-running WPS right now with corrected central_lon ; it should do the trick. I'll come back to confirm (or not).

I think I found the problem's origin... A typo in central_lon :

> grep central *.*
configure.namelist.real:# central_lat : latitude at the center of the domain
configure.namelist.real:# central_lon : longitude at the center of the domain
configure.namelist.real:central_lat=-17.62045
configure.namelist.real:central_lon=-149.5906

> ncdump geo_em.d02.nc |grep 'CEN'
:CEN_LAT = -17.62045f ;
:CEN_LON = -149.5606f ;
:MOAD_CEN_LAT = -17.90401f ;

I'm re-running WPS right now with corrected central_lon ; it should do the trick. I'll come back to confirm (or not).

WRF is currently running. It's obvious now such mistake can end the run before it starts, but unfortunate that rsl* files do not point the error.