Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Should we use Noah when we do not use urban canopy model?

ZHAO

Hi everyone,

In my recent task, 2 sets of WRF experiments are designed. One is set with sf_urban_physics=1 and sf_surface_physics=2 to run with UCM coupling with Noah, and the other one having all urban land replaced with cropland with sf_urban_physics=0 (UCM closed), aiming at comparing 2 sets to find urbanization effects.
My question is, in the 2nd experiment we have no urban land, should we use Noah (sf_surface_physics=2) or juse close it ( sf_surface_physics=0)? Maybe the reason to keep sf_surface_physics=2 is to have only one different parameter (sf_urban_physics=1 or 0), but I do not know exactly whether it is proper to have sf_surface_physics=2 when there is no urban land. Thanks.

Please set sf_surface_physics = 2 no matter whether you have or have no urban points in your input data. Note that sf_surface_physics is the module that handles soil physics and it must be on for any real-data case.