Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

The use of the cell perturbation method with WRF- LES in real-case simulation

batebana

Dear members,
Sorry, I'm very new to WRF-LES modeling.
According to my observation data, I'm using WRFV4.3 to simulate the cumulus cloud that occurred over Naqu site on a specific day.
I'm applying WRF-LES in real case simulation. I am supposed to use the stochastic cell perturbation method, which is not officially implemented into the WRF model.
1) I found the cell perturbation method was tested in an idealized case simulation. How can this be done in a real case simulation?
2) Can anyone help me get the original code on the cell perturbation method or show me where I can get it?
3) Should I write a new code about the cell perturbation method or is there any subroutine I should modify to fill this gap?
4) Suppose I write a new code of the cell perturbation method to fill this gap, how should communicate this in the namelist.input.
I will greatly appreciate any resolution to my concerns.

Thank you for your reply and the provided document
I'm sorry for the late reply

(1) Yes, Sir, I'm running a real data case for LES simulation just as in the 1st attached document page, 17 table 2.

(2) A stochastic perturbation method to generate inflow turbulence in large-eddy simulation models

My simulation is based on a real data-forcing case, as in the first attached paper here (Nested Mesoscale Large-Eddy Simulations with WRF: Performance in Real Test Cases)

But the reviewer suggested the stochastic cell perturbation method, such as the following paper (find attached)

Muñoz-Esparza, D.; Kosović, B.; van Beeck, J.; Mirocha, J. (2015). A stochastic perturbation method to generate inflow turbulence in large-eddy simulation models: Application to neutrally stratified atmospheric boundary layers. Physics of Fluids, 27(3), 035102–. doi:10.1063/1.4913572
A stochastic perturbation method to generate inflow turbulence in large-eddy simulation models: Application to neutrally stratified atmospheric boundary layers.
My teacher has recently edited the module_first_rk_step_part2.F concerning the cell perturbation method. We compiled the WRF4.3 and tested it in both ideal and accurate data forcing. In an idealized LES simulation, we cannot run the model with the top of the atmosphere exceeding 10km
For the LES simulation in real-data forcing model aborts abnormally with a segmentation fault.
My namelist for LES in real data forcing is attached as file 2.
Please, I need help improving the settings.

(3) Next, would you mind teaching me what is a periodic and nonperiodic boundary condition? How do you set this in the namelist?

Attachments

• Physics_Dudhia.ppt.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • namelist.input
    6.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thank you, Sir, for sharing this document with me
Concerning our previous discussion, I'm sorry to bother you, but I still have difficulties running the Large-eddy simulation.

I tested the latest version of WRF, I mean WRF4.5, for Mesoscale simulation using one-way nesting with the ndown.exe program.

The fine domain simulation gave the worry I attached here. No output after the restart files have been generated, but the job is still running and not aborted. I couldn't solve the problem.
This increased more difficulties in addition to LES.

Attachments

• 1689980309985.png
    1689980309985.png
    210.8 KB · Views: 15