Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

time zone consideration in WRF

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

psagar

hi I am doing some diurnal analysis with WRF output data so need to know the time information. I know the WRF outputs all are reported at GMT time. My question is, is the curving of international dateline taken into account in the grids? or the time zones are separated simply by straight vertical lines at each 15 degree parallel to the meridian?

Thank you so much for your response.

Hi,
Are you asking about a specific application in WRF, or is this question referring to WRF, in general? There are no time zones in WRF. There are domains, and it's up to the user to determine the difference in time from UTC. If I'm not answering your question, please provide more detail. Thanks!

Thank you for your response. I think you got my question right. My question is about how to convert the UTC time (reported by WRF) to local time at each grid cell. So, it looks like it is up to the user as to how he/she wants to convert the UTC time to local time as you said. But I am still puzzled. WRF does not know the local time of a grid cell but it knows the UTC time of that grid cell. Wow. It seems rather un-intuitive to me. :D

In WRF, the time zones are separated simply by straight vertical lines at each 15 degree parallel to the meridian. It is up to the user to determine the difference in time from UTC