Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Unfamiliar lake-related messages when running wrf

This post was from a previous version of the WRF&MPAS-A Support Forum. New replies have been disabled and if you have follow up questions related to this post, then please start a new thread from the forum home page.

mmah1986

Dear all,

I have a question about some lake-related error messages that I get when running WRF. I run the WRF model using several processes (i.e., in parallel) with the lake model turned on. The rsl.out.x and rsl.error.x where x is an integer are mostly Ok (that is, they do not contain out-of-the-ordinary messages). However, some of these files do have messages of the form:

"errsoi incorporated into sensible heat in ShalLakeTemperature: c, (W/m^2): 1 <some_real_number>"

Do you happen to know what this message is and why it is shown? Any help in this regard would be greatly apperciated.

Best Regards,
Mani

Mani,
Is the model finishing to completion? Can you send your namelist.input file, along with a *.TAR file with all of your rsl.error.* files so I can take a look? Thanks!

Hi Kelly,

Sorry for the late responce. I have been busy with some other stuff recently. The model finishes to completetion, yes. Attached is a file that has the namelist.input and rsl.out and rsl.error files. The error appears in some but not all the files ... (e.g., see rsl.out.0503). Do you have any idea where these errors are comign from?

Best Regards,
Mani

Attachments

• 1979-01_wrf.tgz
    36.5 MB · Views: 14
Mani,
Thanks for sending that. Without having much experience with the lake model, from looking at the code in file WRF/phys/module_sf_lake.F, it looks like the "errsoi" variable refers to the soil/lake energy conservation error (in W/m^2), and when it comes across a value of errsoi greater than 1.e-1_r8, then the subroutine "ShalLakeTemperature" incorporates it into sensible heat. That probably doesn't help much. Take a look at the code in that file to see if you're able to understand it and if you're not satisfied, let me know and I'll refer to one of my colleagues who does have more experience with the lake model. Thanks!

Thanks for the responce, Kelly. What is energy conservation error exactly ...? What does sensible heat mean? Is it the sensible heat component of the lake surface energy balance? What is the logic behind putting energy conservation error into sensible heat and not actually another component ...? What is the balance equation? Would you be able to ask another colleague of yours with actually more experience of lake model to comment on this as well?

Hi, Okay I did refer to another colleague and I'll provide their responses below.

What is energy conservation error exactly ...?
In the Lake model, we assume the total energy entering the lake should be balanced by the total energy leaving the lake, plus the underground variables and those that change the internal energy of the lake (i.e., lake T change). We call this "energy conservation."
Energy conservation error = incoming energy - outgoing energy - energy to the ground - lake internal energy.
For a perfect result, energy conservation error = 0, but that is not always the case. It's still acceptable as long as the value is small. In your case, it's smaller than 1.e-8, which we believe should be acceptable.

What does sensible heat mean? Is it the sensible heat component of the lake surface energy balance?
Sensible heat is the energy consumed when the temperature of substance is changed. In the lake model, surface sensible heat is the energy it takes to change lake surface temperature. Yes, it is a component of lake surface energy balance.

What is the logic behind putting energy conservation error into sensible heat and not actually another component ...? What is the balance equation?
I think this is just a compromising method the developer uses to handle the energy balance issue. The overall balance equation is like the one given above ( energy conservation error = incoming energy - outgoing energy - energy to the ground - lake internal energy). Detailed calculations of each term could be complicated. It is recommended to take a look at the code for this, or read the literature on this to understand the details.

Thanks for clarifying this ... Kelly. Just one question. You say: "I think this (putting energy conservation error into sensible heat and not actually another component) is just a compromising method the developer uses to handle the energy balance issue.". I still do not get this. For example why not actually put it into internal energy ...?

Thanks so much for helping us figure this out.

Best Regards,
Mani

Mani,

My guess is that, this term is so small that it doesn't matter whether to put it to. You can put it to internal energy, and compare your result with that when this term goes to sensible heat. I expect that the results could be very close to each other.