Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Using precompiled WPS and WRF on Derecho

nuochen

Hello,

I was trying to generate a netcdf file that contains 0.25-degree landmask, land use type, and terrain information, which I thought would be achievable by just running the geogrid.exe with the global namelist setup (maybe needs additional interpolation process) without installing the whole WPS and WRF suites. I have copied the precompile WPS directory `/glade/u/home/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4` to my work directory, but it seems like I don't have permission to edit the `namelist.wps` , `ls -lat` gives

-rw-r--r-- 1 wrfhelp ncar 705 Jan 9 13:37 namelist.wps

Is there a workaround to specify the namelist.wps? It is not impossible to delete the namelist.wps and create my own namelist in the directory I copied over.

Thank you,
Nuo

Hi,
Can you try to copy the directory over again and see if you're able to modify the namelist.wps file now? Make sure you're copying it and not just linking the directory to yours.

Hi,
Can you try to copy the directory over again and see if you're able to modify the namelist.wps file now? Make sure you're copying it and not just linking the directory to yours.
Hi Kelly,

I have copied the directory over
chennuo@derecho2:/glade/work/chennuo/code> cp -r /glade/u/home/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4 .

but when I try to delete a line in namelist.wps, vim still prompts
W10: Warning: Changing a readonly file

Thanks

I think the problem is that /glade/u/home/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4 is a symbolic link, and the -r option (apparently) preserves symbolic links; so what you get is also a symbolic link to the target of /glade/u/home/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4, which is /glade/work/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4 (and which you won't have permission to modify):
Bash:
$ ls /glade/u/home/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 wrfhelp ncar 53 Sep 30 22:11 /glade/u/home/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4 -> /glade/work/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4
Instead I think it may be necessary to copy /glade/work/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4; i.e.,
Bash:
cp -R /glade/work/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4 .

I think the problem is that /glade/u/home/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4 is a symbolic link, and the -r option (apparently) preserves symbolic links; so what you get is also a symbolic link to the target of /glade/u/home/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4, which is /glade/work/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4 (and which you won't have permission to modify):
Bash:
$ ls /glade/u/home/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 wrfhelp ncar 53 Sep 30 22:11 /glade/u/home/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4 -> /glade/work/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4
Instead I think it may be necessary to copy /glade/work/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4; i.e.,
Bash:
cp -R /glade/work/wrfhelp/derecho_pre_compiled_code/wpsv4.4 .
Hi Michael,

Thank you! I think I got the symbolic link directory from this post. Copy over the actual wps directory solves the problem.

Cheers,
Nuo