Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF-Chem-4.2. Run with Chem_opt=198 (SAPRC99/MOSAIC)

Felipe

Dear community,

I am trying to run WRF-Chem with the SAPRC99/MOSAIC mechanism, adding anthropogenic emissions from a local emission inventory. However, after searching in the WRF-Chem user guide, I could not find a suitable emiss_inpt_opt for this mechanism.

Does anyone know what emiss_inpt_opt is adecuate in this scenario?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

You should be able to use emiss_opt = 13 and emiss_inpt_opt = 1, though it may depend on which species are included in your emissions files.

i.e., for emiss_opt = 13, the code expects the emissions to have theses species (below), which will be partitioned to the gas and aerosol array/species in the mechanism using module_emissions_anthropogenics.F and module_mosaic_addemiss.F. Depending on what is in your files, you may need to modify the source code to include all of your species (additionally, some of the species in the below list are not automatically added).

package esaprcnov emiss_opt==13 - emis_ant:e_so2,e_c2h6,e_c3h8,e_c2h2,e_alk3,e_alk4,e_alk5,e_ethene,e_c3h6,e_ole1,e_ole2,e_aro1,e_aro2,e_hcho,e_ccho,e_rcho,e_acet,e_mek,e_isoprene,e_terp,e_sesq,e_co,e_no,e_no2,e_phen,e_cres,e_meoh,e_gly,e_mgly,e_bacl,e_isoprod,e_methacro,e_mvk,e_prod2,e_ch4,e_bald,e_hcooh,e_cco_oh,e_rco_oh,e_nh3,e_pm25i,e_pm25j,e_eci,e_ecj,e_orgi,e_orgj,e_so4i,e_so4j,e_no3i,e_no3j,e_orgi_a,e_orgj_a,e_orgi_bb,e_orgj_bb

J

Dear community,

I am trying to run WRF-Chem with the SAPRC99/MOSAIC mechanism, adding anthropogenic emissions from a local emission inventory. However, after searching in the WRF-Chem user guide, I could not find a suitable emiss_inpt_opt for this mechanism.

Does anyone know what emiss_inpt_opt is adecuate in this scenario?

Thank you in advance.
Hi Felipe.
Hope everything's going well.

Can you show me where I can find information about how to adding anthropogenic emissions from a local emission inventory for the WRF-CHEM?
Thank you.

-Steph

Hi Felipe.
Hope everything's going well.

Can you show me where I can find information about how to adding anthropogenic emissions from a local emission inventory for the WRF-CHEM?
Thank you.

-Steph
Dear Steph,

To generate the wrfchemi netcdf files we are currently using an emission preprocessor named PyChEmiss. In the link provided, you can access the source code, some template files to run the preprocessor, and the needed explanations. To use the preprocessor, you would need a txt file with the data of your local inventory such as i, longitude, latitude, and the emissions of the pollutants required by your chosen chemical mechanisms.

Creating the txt file is the complex part, given that the emissions need to be temporally and spatially disaggregated if you are starting from a top-down emission inventory, or perhaps regridded if you have a bottom-up inventory with better resolution than the model (e.g., Your data has a 0.1x0.1 km – 1h resolution but you set up WRF to use 1x1 km -1h). I can suggest you look into these tools and their respective articles for disaggregation of on-road mobile emissions (DROVE and VEIN) and look at the emissions section of this article for more insights (Gonzalez, 2018). For other types of sources in your inventory such as stationary-point or stationary-area sources you might need to combine GIS/programming software to perform the disaggregation/regridding.

I know this is a very superficial answer, but I hope is a useful starting point since there are a lot of steps in the preparation of the disaggregated txt emission file. If you have other specific questions, I’ll be happy to help.

Best regards,
Felipe