Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF-Chem Testing

antoant

Hello, I am a sys admin for my university's HPC and I have been tasked with installing WRF and WRF-Chem on our machine.
Needless to say I am not familiar with using the software/model to do actual work, just the installation procedure.
I have successfully compiled both and I have moved on to trying the test cases included with WRF under the test directory.
Although those tests work just fine for WRF when used with WRF-Chem I get the following error:

-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 500
ERROR: CHEM_INIT: Chemistry routines require USGS or MODIS_NOAH land use maps. Need to change land use option.
-------------------------------------------

So this leads me to my three questions:
1. Do the test cases included with WRF apply for WRF-Chem or is there some sort of processing that needs to happen in order to use them with WRF-Chem?
2. Do I need two different installation, one for WRF and the other with WRF-Chem enabled?
3. If the answer to 2 above is Yes then do I need a second installation of WRF-Chem that has the KPP enabled or can that be enabled by the user on demad?

Hi,

It is not required to have separate installations for WRF and WRF-Chem, though it's possible there might be some differences in run time. As for KPP, that needs to be compiled - it cannot be chosen at runtime. As for the WRF test cases, it looks like at least the one you have chosen will not work with WRF-Chem - Did this test start from GEOGRID, UNGRIB, METGRID, REAL, etc. or was the input data already created? This might be better for you to attempt: Tutorial Exercises For WRF-Chem Version 4.0

Jordan

Hi,

It is not required to have separate installations for WRF and WRF-Chem, though it's possible there might be some differences in run time. As for KPP, that needs to be compiled - it cannot be chosen at runtime. As for the WRF test cases, it looks like at least the one you have chosen will not work with WRF-Chem - Did this test start from GEOGRID, UNGRIB, METGRID, REAL, etc. or was the input data already created? This might be better for you to attempt: Tutorial Exercises For WRF-Chem Version 4.0

Jordan
Hi Jordan,

I also met this error when I want to run WRFChem using NCLD data. So does it mean WRFChem cannot only work with USGS or MODIS data?

Thank you in advance.
Lily