Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF:NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVELS = 0 (from met_em files).

xpji

hi,all
when i run real.exe, i got an error like:
d01 2020-09-01_00:00:00 ---- ERROR: Mismatch between namelist and input file dimensions
NOTE: 1 namelist vs input data inconsistencies found.

or like:
----------------- ERROR -------------------
namelist : num_metgrid_soil_levels = 4
input files : NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVELS = 0 (from met_em files).
d01 2020-09-01_00:00:00 ---- ERROR: Mismatch between namelist and global attribute NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVELS
NOTE: 1 namelist vs input data inconsistencies found.

After some checking, I realized that it was caused by the inconsistency with namelist.input due to NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVELS = 0 in my met file.
But this met file is generated by the FILE:xxx file I wrote via py, after metgrid.exe, and I really don't add the variables ST and SM in the FILE:xxx file.
If I change NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVELS = 0 in namelist.input, I can run it next but it reports other errors.

So, should I add them manually in the make FILE file? and what should i add?

Hi,
When you obtain input data, you should make sure the data contain all the required input variables, which includes the soil moisture and soil temperature data. When you have that data, you should then be able to include those data in the intermediate files (i.e., FILE:*), and then they will be included in the met_em* files. You cannot simply set num_metgrid_levels = 0 in namelist.input because the model needs those variables to be able to run.

Vtable is Vtable.ECMWF, but the input data is completely created by me through the python code, rather than downloaded from reanalysis data, such as (ERA5).

Hi,
When you obtain input data, you should make sure the data contain all the required input variables, which includes the soil moisture and soil temperature data. When you have that data, you should then be able to include those data in the intermediate files (i.e., FILE:*), and then they will be included in the met_em* files. You cannot simply set num_metgrid_levels = 0 in namelist.input because the model needs those variables to be able to run.
Thanks.
I understand what you mean. But I want to say that the environment variables in these necessary data were created by myself, and then I used the pywinter package in Python to create a FILE intermediate format file. Instead of downloading the reanalysis data run geogrid.exe to obtain a FILE format file.
So what should I add to this soil data?

Hi,
I solved the problem!
I manually downloaded the Soil temperature and Soil moisture data of ERA5, and then manually added it to my FILE file.
When I run real.exe again, the above error will not appear.
thanks all

That's great news! I'm glad to hear you were able to resolve it, and thank you for sharing the resolution.