Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF physics for 1km domain forcasting application

fisky

Hello,
I'm nesting a 1km reolution domain inside a 5km domain. Both 100 grid squares. Input data is GFS forcast. I'm running the simulation primarily to forcast weather for sailors so the main parameters I'm intersted are surface winds, rain, CAPE and a few upper level winds. Clouds possibly but thats not a priority. Wind is the primary priority.
I'm wondering what the optimum physics settings are for this kind of application? Should I swith off cumulus parmetisation?

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew,
First, I would suggest that you increase your domains to cover a larger area. This is because large domain size would allow full evolvement of WRF physics and dynamics.
Second, 5km resolution is a typical grey-zone resolution, and cumulus scheme may not work well under this resolution. Is it possible that you run with 9-3-1km resolution (triply nested domain?)
As for the physics and dynamics options, please take a look at the document here and hope it is helpful for you.

Andrew,
First, I would suggest that you increase your domains to cover a larger area. This is because large domain size would allow full evolvement of WRF physics and dynamics.
Second, 5km resolution is a typical grey-zone resolution, and cumulus scheme may not work well under this resolution. Is it possible that you run with 9-3-1km resolution (triply nested domain?)
As for the physics and dynamics options, please take a look at the document here and hope it is helpful for you.
Hi Ming,

Thanks a lot for you advice. I can certainly change my domain esting as you mention.

As for using a larger domain - what would you reccomend as a more suitable domain size?

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew,
This is just my personal opinion, --- for a 9-km resolution outmost domain, I would suggest at least 100 x 100 grids. There is no strict rule how large the domain size should be.