Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

WRF slab ocean

Lixiang

I am trying to do a regional climate run with WRF. Information provided below:
Version: WRFV4.4.1
Case: em_convrad
Changes made:
1. change the incoming solar radiation to 240 W/m2 and fix the solar zenith angle to 0 (mimic a tidally-locked exoplanet);
2. sf_ocean_physics = 1; oml_hml0 = 1; oml_gamma = 0.14;

I have two questions about the ocean model:
1. About the energy balance of the system: I observed that at the top of the atmosphere, there is a net loss of energy (LW+SW), while a net-gain at the bottom (LW+SW+SH+LH). I suppose this net gain is from the ocean. Does this mean the system energy is not closed, such as the ocean providing energy to sustain the system? I ask this because in climate models, I always use the slab ocean model (~1m deep), which only passively responds to the energy budget at the surface, and the system will have a ~0 net energy at the top and surface.

2. If the answer to 1. is true, I was wondering if I can also do slab ocean in WRF? If it is possible, please let me know which scheme should I focus on. Thanks.

Hi,
We believe that this ocean option should also balance the energy budget as it carries a heat content,
but it can bring cooler water from below.
For your case, the 3d ocean model option should be a better option because it fully conserves energy. The 3D model can be run with few thick layers to make it act like a slab.
Hope this is helpful for you.

Hi,
We believe that this ocean option should also balance the energy budget as it carries a heat content,
but it can bring cooler water from below.
For your case, the 3d ocean model option should be a better option because it fully conserves energy. The 3D model can be run with few thick layers to make it act like a slab.
Hope this is helpful for you.
Thank you very much for the reply! I will try the 3d ocean option and post the results here later.