Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

all three xxx.exe files did not generated when compiling WPS

SpringFa

Hello everyone!
During the installation process of WRFV4.5.1, I successfully completed the compilation of WRF. However, I encountered issues during the compilation of WPS.
I did not follow the official website tutorial for installing WRF because the necessary libraries for WRF are already installed on the supercomputer I am using. Additionally, I have installed a modified version of NSSL's WRF-ELEC. Furthermore, as I am not very familiar with Linux operations, I am seeking help here.

$LD_LIBRARY_PATH is:
/public1/soft/pnetcdf/1.6.1/icc-18/lib:
/public1/soft/libpng/1.6.37/lib:
/public1/soft/zlib/1.2.7/lib:
/public1/soft/jasper/intel18/lib:
/public1/soft/netcdf/4.4.1-parallel-icc18/lib:
/public1/soft/hdf5/1.8.13-parallel-icc18/lib:
/public1/soft/szip/2.1.1-icc18/lib:
/public1/soft/intel/2018/debugger_2018/libipt/intel64/lib:
/public1/soft/intel/2018/debugger_2018/iga/lib:
/public1/soft/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.2.199/linux/daal/../tbb/lib/intel64_lin/gcc4.4:
/public1/soft/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.2.199/linux/daal/lib/intel64_lin:
/public1/soft/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.2.199/linux/tbb/lib/intel64/gcc4.7:
/public1/soft/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.2.199/linux/mkl/lib/intel64_lin:
/public1/soft/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.2.199/linux/ipp/lib/intel64:
/public1/soft/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.2.199/linux/mpi/mic/lib:
/public1/soft/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.2.199/linux/mpi/intel64/lib:
/public1/soft/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.2.199/linux/compiler/lib/intel64_lin:
/public1/soft/intel/2018/compilers_and_libraries_2018.2.199/linux/compiler/lib/intel64:/public1/home/sc50110/NCL/lib:
/opt/slurm/slurm/lib:

Here are the steps I followed to compile WPS:
$ cd WPS-release-v4.5/
$ module load mpi/intel/18.0.2-thc szip/2.1.1-wzm hdf5/1.8.13-parallel-icc18-wzm netcdf/4.4.1-parallel-icc18-wzm jasper/intel18/1.9-cjj zlib/1.2.7-thc libpng/intel18/1.6.37-cjj pnetcdf/intel18/1.6.1-icc18-cjj
$ ./configure # 19 (Linux x86_64 Intel compiler (dmpar)) was selected
$ ./compile &> compile.log

I attempted two methods found online: adding options like -liomp5 -lpthread to WRF_LIB in configure.wps, and changing the paths for COMPRESSION_LIBS and COMPRESSION_INC in configure.wps. However, none of these methods had any effect. Additionally, I noticed that some people seemed to encounter similar issues, and their solution was to use WPS V4.1 with WRF V4.2. I am not sure if using mismatched versions of WPS and WRF could lead to problems during WRF execution.

I would be greatly appreciative if someone could help me overcome this challenge.

Attachments

• compile.wrf.txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • configure.wrf.txt
    21.6 KB · Views: 1
  • compile.wps.txt
    183.3 KB · Views: 2
  • configure.wps.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi,
Although you didn't follow the standard procedures for installing WRF, I'd still like you to take a look at this compile tutorial and go through the system and library tests to make sure you have all the basic components installed.

Are you planning to run very large domains (e.g., 1000s x 1000s of grid points)? If not, I'd like you to try is to compile WPS for serial processing. Even though you compiled WRF for dmpar processing, you should only need dmpar for WPS if you are planning to have very large domains. It's okay to compile WRF with dmpar and WPS with serial. This will at least rule out an issue with MPI.

If it still fails, can you try building basic WRF (instead of WRF-ELEC) and set WRF_DIR to the basic version of WRF, then compile WPS and see if that makes any difference?

Make sure to issue 'clean -a' and then reconfigure before recompiling each time. Thanks!

Hi,
Although you didn't follow the standard procedures for installing WRF, I'd still like you to take a look at this compile tutorial and go through the system and library tests to make sure you have all the basic components installed.

Are you planning to run very large domains (e.g., 1000s x 1000s of grid points)? If not, I'd like you to try is to compile WPS for serial processing. Even though you compiled WRF for dmpar processing, you should only need dmpar for WPS if you are planning to have very large domains. It's okay to compile WRF with dmpar and WPS with serial. This will at least rule out an issue with MPI.

If it still fails, can you try building basic WRF (instead of WRF-ELEC) and set WRF_DIR to the basic version of WRF, then compile WPS and see if that makes any difference?

Make sure to issue 'clean -a' and then reconfigure before recompiling each time. Thanks!
Thank you for your response. Based on some online clues, I found that the unsuccessful compilation of my WPS might be related to the Intel compiler I am using. After making the following modifications in configure.wps, the WPS compilation was successful:

DM_FC = mpif90 -f90=$(SFC) -qopenmp -fpp -auto
DM_CC = mpicc -cc=$(SCC)

Once again, thank you for your response and support. Wishing you a pleasant life.

Great! I'm glad you were able to get past the issue and thank you so much for posting the solution!