Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Compile Error in WRFV4.4 moving nest option

ben108472

Describe the bug
When I compile WRFV4.4, same error is repeated.
module_comm_dm_4.G:30:0: fatal error: REGISTRY_COMM_DM_PERIOD_subs.inc: No such file or directory

To Reproduce
nohup ./compile em_real &>compile.log

Attachments

• compile.log
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Hi,
I've not seen this particular error previously, but from a search online I was able to find this older post to a different forum. This indicates the issue could be due to running out of memory. Can you check on that, and perhaps see if that post is helpful at all?

If that isn't the issue, can you confirm whether the problem still exists when using the latest version of the code (V4.4) and when using a basic nesting option?

Hi,
I've not seen this particular error previously, but from a search online I was able to find this older post to a different forum. This indicates the issue could be due to running out of memory. Can you check on that, and perhaps see if that post is helpful at all?

If that isn't the issue, can you confirm whether the problem still exists when using the latest version of the code (V4.4) and when using a basic nesting option?
Basic option (option=1) can be successfully complied. I think the problem is not out of memory because memory is sufficient (more than 50GB).

Thanks for trying that. Did you try to compile the moving nest option with V4.4 of the WRF code?

I just tested this and I'm seeing the same problem. Let me work on this a bit and get back to you. Thank you for your patience.

Hi,
Apologies for the delay. This error has taken quite a bit of time to track down. I have a temporary fix for you to try. We will talk to our software engineers to see if we can figure out a long-term solution, but for now, this one should suffice as long as you have gcc installed. If so, please try the following.

./clean -a
./configure
Then edit the configure.wrf file. Look for the following two lines and change them from "icc" to "gcc."
Code:
SCC             =       gcc
CCOMP           =       gcc
and then look for this line and change "-ip" to "-c"
Code:
CFLAGS_LOCAL    =       -w -O3 -c -DRPC_TYPES=1 #-xHost -fp-model fast=2 -no-prec-div -no-prec-sqrt -ftz -no-multibyte-chars # -DRSL0_ONLY
Save the configure.wrf file and then try to compile again. Please let me know if this works for you so that I can add an FAQ about it, if so. Thanks!

error1.jpgI encountered the same problem as Ben108472 when I compiled WRF-4.3 and set the moving nest option, using ifort and icc. I compared the compile log file between mine and yours, and found much similarities (the following content is not posted). I tried to set the basic nesting option and I successed!
It is hard to believe that it is a problem of insufficient memory because it is just in compiling! And I have 15G free memory during my compling.
I am trying the method proposed by kwerner. But I can't just change the "icc" into "gcc" when I use WRF to run a real case, because gcc can't be responsible for large scale computing on our server.

Have you solve your problem, Ben108472? I am looking forward to know how you solve this problem and compile the WRF successfully. Thanks!

View attachment 7482I encountered the same problem as Ben108472 when I compiled WRF-4.3 and set the moving nest option, using ifort and icc. I compared the compile log file between mine and yours, and found much similarities (the following content is not posted). I tried to set the basic nesting option and I successed!
It is hard to believe that it is a problem of insufficient memory because it is just in compiling! And I have 15G free memory during my compling.
I am trying the method proposed by kwerner. But I can't just change the "icc" into "gcc" when I use WRF to run a real case, because gcc can't be responsible for large scale computing on our server.

Have you solve your problem, Ben108472? I am looking forward to know how you solve this problem and compile the WRF successfully. Thanks!
version 4.4.1 has fixed this problem. You can try it.
If you want to fix this problem for this error in other version, you can fix it by modifying this file.

Thank you for your reply! Both the method proposed by kwerner on this forum and github work to solve this problem. And I think maybe this problem also occurs in the ccompile of WRF-4.3 :unsure:.