Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Errors when ungribbing file

bparazin

Hi all, I'm currently trying to use WRF to simulate some weather events from 1844 for research, and to do so I'm attempting to run it on the NOAA 20th century reanalysis V3 since that is the only reanalysis dataset I'm familiar with which goes back that far. To that that end, I have a series of grib2 files I've created using CDO that I am trying to use as the boundary conditions, but they seem to be failing in the import; when I try and run ungrib on them to use them in the model, it completely fails to import them. Looking at it with debug turned on, it is constantly throwing the errors "getdrstemplate: DRS Template 4 not defined." and "ERROR extracting field gf_getfld = 12" and an abridged command line output for one file is in below since it is pretty long. I imagine it's something to do with the formatting or metadata of the file, but I haven't been able to figure out what that is. Also note that this is for an event in 1993 just because I'm first running my NOAA reanalysis netcdf4 data to grib input pipeline on a time period that has supported datasets I can use to easily validate the model and make sure everything is inputting correctly before diving into the past.

I've uploaded the file that I ran it for as compressed_grib.tar.gz to the nextcloud storage, and this is running on Ubuntu subsystem for windows version 22.04. Let me know if I can provide any more info to help!

*** Starting program ungrib.exe ***
Start_date = 1993-05-22_21:00:00 , End_date = 1993-05-23_21:00:00
output format is WPS
Path to intermediate files is ./wpsprd/
getdrstemplate: DRS Template 4 not defined.
ERROR extracting field gf_getfld = 12
and then the 2 above lines repeat like 100 times before
###############################################################################

Inventory for date = 1993-05-22 21:00:00

PRES TT UU VV RH HGT PSFC PMSL SM000010 SM010040 SM040100 SM100200 ST000010 ST010040 ST040100 ST100200 LANDSEA SKINTEMP SNOW SNOWH CANWAT SOILCAT VEGCAT UTROP VTROP PTROP TTROP HGTTROP
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR extracting field gf_getfld = 12
and then it repeats again

Oh also here's my ungrib.log, since I figure that will be helpful

Attachments

• ungrib.log
    12.3 KB · Views: 5
Oh and for good measure, here's my vtable, reformatted to a .txt

Attachments

• Vtable.TCR.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 8
Hi,
Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with that data type. I used the g2print.exe program and it does seem to recognize that the data are GRIB2 data format, but it just seems to be missing the necessary information. I would recommend contacting someone who provides to data to see if they have any suggestions. Let us know if you figure anything out!

Hi, what information is it missing so I can figure out how to add it in? The "someone who provides the data" is NOAA so I don't think I'll have a lot of luck there, especially since they only release it in netcdf format, and the transfer to grib2 is done on my machine.

Also you say you're not too familiar with grib2, which surprises me since I thought for WRF you had to input your boundary conditions with grib1/grib2 files. Are there other data types I can use for that instead? I'm pretty tired of grib files and all their quirks and would like an alternative option 😅

Hi,
I apologize for the confusion. I meant I'm not familiar with the NOAA 20th century reanalysis data. I am very familiar with GRIB data!

The fields you need can all be found here. Did you use an existing script to write your data from netCDF to grib2 format? You may find some useful information (and links to scripts) in this previously-answered forum post.