Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Global Radiation

Din19

Dear @Ming Chen,

I am sorry for disturbing you. I want to get global radiation from the wrfout files. I saw your thread that it can be obtained SWDDIR and SWDDIF A question about SWDOWN (DOWNWARD SHORT WAVE FLUX AT GROUND SURFACE).

However, I don't have these variables in the wrfout file, but I have SWDOWN. Therefore I have the following questions: (i) how can I get SWDDIR and SWDDIF in my wrfout files? (ii) Is it okay to use SWDOWN as global radiation?

Thank you very much

I would appreciate it if someone could help me.

Will it be okay to consider SWDOWN as global radation?

Hi,
Apologies for the long delay in response. This post got put in a different folder in my emails. Are you still having trouble with this? I'm not a physics expert, but I believe SWDOWN can be used as global radiation. If you want to get SWDDIR and SWDDIF, you can use the Runtime I/O option to have those variables output.

Indira,
I am sorry to answer late. Somehow this post was skipped.

To answer your question of how to get swddir and SWDDIF, there are two options:

(1) you may modify Registry.EM_COMMON. Below is an example:

You will be able the find the line:
state real swddir ij misc 1 - rd "SWDDIR" "Shortwave surface downward direct irradiance" "W m-2" ""

Change it to
state real swddir ij misc 1 - rhd "SWDDIR" "Shortwave surface downward direct irradiance" "W m-2" ""

And make the same change for SWDDIF.

Then please recompile WRF after ./clean -a

(2) You can also use the runtime I/O option. With this option you don't need to modify Registry and don't need to recompile WRF

These variables together with SWDOWN and GLW etc can be used for global radiation study.

Indira,
I am sorry to answer late. Somehow this post was skipped.

To answer your question of how to get swddir and SWDDIF, there are two options:

(1) you may modify Registry.EM_COMMON. Below is an example:

You will be able the find the line:
state real swddir ij misc 1 - rd "SWDDIR" "Shortwave surface downward direct irradiance" "W m-2" ""

Change it to
state real swddir ij misc 1 - rhd "SWDDIR" "Shortwave surface downward direct irradiance" "W m-2" ""

And make the same change for SWDDIF.

Then please recompile WRF after ./clean -a

(2) You can also use the runtime I/O option. With this option you don't need to modify Registry and don't need to recompile WRF

These variables together with SWDOWN and GLW etc can be used for global radiation study.
Thank youv ery much for your reply.

Hi,
Apologies for the long delay in response. This post got put in a different folder in my emails. Are you still having trouble with this? I'm not a physics expert, but I believe SWDOWN can be used as global radiation. If you want to get SWDDIR and SWDDIF, you can use the Runtime I/O option to have those variables output.
Thank you very much.