Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to add heating rate as a variable in the WRF output file

Ankan

Hello all,
I want to add atmospheric heating rate as a variable in the WRF output files (i.e., 'wrfout_d0*' files). I have gone through a previous forum conversation (Output the atmospheric heating rate) and after considering the suggestions available in that conversation, I made a iofields file named ''my_iofields_list.txt' and set the following line in the 'time_control' section of the namelist.input:
iofields_filename = 'my_iofields_list.txt','my_iofields_list.txt',
That means I used the same iofiled files for both domains.Then I ran the model.
After the successful run, I checked the 'wrfout_d0* files, but the variablles mentioned in the 'my_iofields_list.txt' files are not coming in the wrf output. The following lines are written in the 'my_iofields_list.txt' file:
+:h:7:tropo_p,tropo_z,tropo_lev,h_diabatic,RTHCUTEN,RTHRATEN,RTHBLTEN
Am I doing something wrong? I again checked the WRF User's Guide and I saw the following lines:
"If you are interested in outputting variables into a new stream (i.e., not the default history
stream 0), then the following namelist variables will also be necessary (example for
stream 7):
auxhist7_outname = “yourstreamname_d<domain>_<date>”
auxhist7_interval = 360, 360,
frames_per_auxhist7 = 1, 1,
io_form_auxhist7 = 2"

So, does it mean that if I am writing '+h:7:' then I have to add the above lines also to get the variable in my output file? Or just keeping '+h:0:' and adding no new line in the namelist.input file will work for this? Can anyone please calrify this? That will be very helpful for me. Thank you for your time and consideration.
With regards,
Ankan

Ankan,
That is correct that you must include the following in your namelist.input
auxhist7_outname = “yourstreamname_d<domain>_<date>”
auxhist7_interval = 360, 360,
frames_per_auxhist7 = 1, 1,
io_form_auxhist7 = 2

Dear @Ming Chen,
For the above-mentioned iofield text file, 1. Do I have to change the name "yourstreamname_d<domain>_<date>"? What does 'yourstreamname' mean?
2. And what does this line "auxhist7_interval = 360, 360," mean? Is the interval in minutes (i.e., is it 6-hourly)? In my case, I want to get hourly output for every variables. So, what should I set?
3. And lastly, if I just set "+:h:0:tropo_p,tropo_z,tropo_lev,h_diabatic,RTHCUTEN,RTHRATEN,RTHBLTEN" in the 'my_iofields_list.txt' files (i.e., setting default history stream), will the variable automatically appear in the 'wrfout_d0*' files just like other variables are coming as default?
Can you please clarify this?That will be very helpful for me. Thank you for your time and consideration.
With regards,
Ankan

Dear @Ming Chen,
For the above-mentioned iofield text file, 1. Do I have to change the name "yourstreamname_d<domain>_<date>"? What does 'yourstreamname' mean?

You can specify the output file name for the output. For example, you can set
auxhist7_outname = “heating_d<domain>_<date>”

Remember to keep all other elements (i.e., d<domain>_<date>) unchanged

2. And what does this line "auxhist7_interval = 360, 360," mean? Is the interval in minutes (i.e., is it 6-hourly)? In my case, I want to get hourly output for every variables. So, what should I set?

This is the output interval. For hourly output, you can set
auxhist7_interval = 60, 60,

3. And lastly, if I just set "+:h:0:tropo_p,tropo_z,tropo_lev,h_diabatic,RTHCUTEN,RTHRATEN,RTHBLTEN" in the 'my_iofields_list.txt' files (i.e., setting default history stream), will the variable automatically appear in the 'wrfout_d0*' files just like other variables are coming as default?

You can. But in this case you cannot specify output intervals for these newly added variables. They will be written to wrfout files at 'history_interval'.

Can you please clarify this?That will be very helpful for me. Thank you for your time and consideration.
With regards,
Ankan