Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

How to utilize GEFS ensemble mean data for input

Good afternoon,

Has anyone sucessfully used GEFS data for WRF model input?

I'm seeing how it compares to the deterministic GFS data for forecast validation.

Hi William, I have. I used 20 members of the GEFS to initialize an ensemble of WRF simulations, one per GEFS member. I didn't need to use the deterministic GFS, just the individual GEFS members, with met_em input from each member per each simulation.

The GFS Vtable worked without an issue for me for the ungrib step.

-James

Hi William, I have. I used 20 members of the GEFS to initialize an ensemble of WRF simulations, one per GEFS member. I didn't need to use the deterministic GFS, just the individual GEFS members, with met_em input from each member per each simulation.

The GFS Vtable worked without an issue for me for the ungrib step.

-James
Good afternoon James,
If I wanted to use the GEFS ensemble mean to initialize WRF would the process be the same? Would you mind writing out the steps for me?

Hi William, hmmm I'm guessing the process would be the same as the usual WPS, REAL, and WRF procedures but where you'd presumably have the ensemble mean file generated in the same expected grib format that WPS looks for. I don't know of a way to compute that mean via packages available with WPS/WRF, but I haven't tried to do that before. Otherwise, assuming all the grib variable info (dimensions, names, etc) are unchanged, the GFS Vtable should work just as it does for the individual members.

We had an issue when using GEFS data to drive WRF. However, this issue has been fixed. Please see the document here.

if soil data are missing, can you check whether the data are included in your GEFS grib files?

I am still having problem to run WRF with GEFS data. Soil data are missing.
Any suggestion please??

@ Lol,

Where did you download GEFS data? If soil data are missing, it is often because the data you downloaded don't contain such information.