Scheduled Downtime
On Friday 21 April 2023 @ 5pm MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online the morning of 24 April 2023 at the latest

Is it recommended to use the same spatial resolution for all surface parameters?

jesteban

Dear users,

The WRF model has 30 arc-seconds (~900 meters) as the higher spatial resolution by default. I read many papers where authors changed the topography (HGT) to a higher resolution (e.g. 90 meters). I also managed to change it. But now I have a question. The another surface parameters such as albedo, landuse, soil temperature, etc., still having 30 arc-seconds of resolution. Could that inconsistency between the HGT (~90 meters) and the another parameters (~900 meters) have any impact on the simulation? Is it recommended to use the same spatial resolution for all surface parameters?

Last edited:
I don't believe it's uncommon to use varying resolutions for different static fields. You could try a small test to see if it causes any negative impact before running your full simulation.